Anyone want to play a game of chess?

@tylertoo just whupped me good. Here’s the game:

Thanks for the game @schurem. I got worried early on when you had a forking attack with your pawn on my knight and bishop, and I was pleased to figure out an escape.

This Pocket List has some great resources. Here are a few, many more in the list itself.

How to Get Good at Chess

Stephen MossThe Guardian

You don’t have to be a polymath like Beth Harmon in The Queen’s Gambit to improve your game.

Watch: A Brief History of Chess

Alex GendlerTED-Ed

Trace the storied history of the game of chess, from its origins in 7th century India to the computer software we use today.

Learning Chess at Forty

Tom VanderbiltNautilus

What I learned trying to keep up with my 4-year-old daughter at the royal game.

Concentrate!

Jonathan RowsonAeon

The challenge of chess – learning how to hold complexity in mind and still make good decisions – is also the challenge of life.

Want to Make Better Decisions? Start Playing More Chess

Caroline DelbertPopular Mechanics

Netflix’s hit series The Queen’s Gambit confirms it: A game as old as time can help you strategize for basically anything.

The Best Books on Chess

Sophie RoellFive Books

You don’t have to be a genius to play chess, but it helps. The former Sunday Telegraph editor and chess aficionado, Dominic Lawson, chooses the best books on chess.

I like the article by Jonathan Rowson, particularly the quote “Chess is an arena where system meets psyche”

Rowson’s books are awesome works, both Seven Deadly Chess Sins and Chess for Zebras.

Right now is a golden age for chess publishing. Quality Chess Books in particular has really done outstanding work. New In Chess, Russell Enterprises, Gambit, Thinkers Publishing, Chess Evolution, Mongoose Press, Everyman, and Olms.

Just double checking to make sure that @newbrof vs @vyshka, @AWS260 vs @Mark_Crump, and @krayzkrok vs @SamS are still in progress.

that’s right. Our game is heating up.

Yep! We are working through it.

Yeah, getting a little tricky now :)

Yep! Slowly but surely.

I went through a chess phase a few years ago and I really enjoyed watching John Bartholomew’s videos on Youtube. I found his “Climbing the Ratings Ladder” and “Tactics Training” videos very enlightening. He’ll play blitz games and be talking about his moves and analyzing what the other player is doing, it’s so amazing. He’s just a really nice guy and never uses naughty language so his videos are safe to use for kids to watch (I’ve never really watched any other Chess Youtuber so I don’t know if their language ever gets salty). Definitely a great resource.

I am likely going to resign my game with @AWS260. I can’t get an attack going, and I am giving away pieces left and right. I am reacting more than attacking.

Due to a lot of work and life stuff, I am having trouble concentrating on this so I might just end it.

@Mark_Crump we’re still waiting for two other games to finish, so don’t feel as if you’re holding us up by fighting on. At this point we will not start round two until next week at the earliest. Thanks.

Eh, it’s more on my end. The end of this week gets busy for me and I am down a lot of material. I like the idea of the tournament, but I also realize a lost cause (my game, not the tournament) when I see one. Every move I make feels like a blunder.

Which I expected, I haven’t played chess in years.

result 1:0

@vyshka GG. I thought I had something with 12. Qa4 (double attack). But in the end it was nothing and I was left with a bad pawn structure (and 2 bishops as comfort).

That is what I get for making a sudden move :) trapping the rook and giving up the exchange for nothing. GG @newbrof and thanks for the game

thanks for the game, I have to look into Nimzo-Indian from a white perspective. I ended up with an isolated queens pawn.

Playing a correspondence game is such a mental shift from the 5- and 10-minute games that I have played online. It’s really refreshing to be able to think about a position without a clock in the corner.

Just watched your match and wondering why you gave up at the first setback. Where you that closely matched?

In other martial arts I’ve practised over the years you often fight to the finish. Chess is different I guess?

well, losing a piece in chess is like using a leg or an arm during a sword fight. Sure, you can “fight” on while bleeding to death, or you could surrender.

what I want to say, sometimes the disadvantage is too huge.

In this case however, it was a rook (5) against a bishop (3), so a material disadvantage of -2 with no attack, no queens etc.