Anyone want to play a game of chess?

I can see what you mean. It’s bad. There’s no way @vyshka could have come back from losing the knight?

I understand it’s not like Jiu Jitsu where you can reverse from almost any position with a bit of luck, skill and cunning. Or aerial fighting, where you can, again with some luck and skill still win a fight even after losing much of your team and being in a bad position yourself.

And as I read back the above paragraph I see the distinction between those other games and chess: luck. The only luck you ever get in chess is your opponent doing some dumbass shit. And if he’s not doing that, there’s no way to come back from losing even the smallest bit of advantage.

Has someone ever given up on losing a pawn, or is the line drawn at a piece?

I think in blitz chess there is “luck” because of the time limit. A lucky punch is totally possible, happens all the time. In this time control, where I have so much time, it is harder to get a lucky punch.

I think it also depends a lot on the skill of the players. If I’m playing someone at my beginner level, there’s a reasonably good chance that we’ll both make major blunders, so if I make a mistake I’ll just keep playing in the hope that my opponent will eventually do the same.

We’ve wrapped up.

Thanks for the game, @Mark_Crump. I think you had the better of it in the opening. It was just dropping the one bishop that turned things around.

Interesting game. That was a dire mistake in the last move from black. Did you not see that coming?

there was a neat trick in move 12 after you played 12. Qxd4 where you could have lost your queen.
12 … Bxh2+ and your queen on d4 is unprotected. He didn’t see it… but that’s a standard pattern.

I saw the mate coming a few moves in advance, hence my thought in resigning. I could avoid the mate, but it would put me in a deeper piece deficit. My only hope was I noticed he missed the mate one turn and to see if I could maybe get something going.

Yeah, losing the bishop early, and then the knight just put me in a tough position. I did have fun, though

This game, I just never got in a rhythm from the beginning.

Happy Thanksgiving folks. Here’s where we are:

EDIT: Fixed version:

When @krayzkrok and @SamS are complete, we’ll seed Round 2!

Hi @tylertoo , the result is 1:0 the other way around. I won…

Whoops, I will fix in a bit. Sorry about that!

Fixed!

Folks let me know if I get any other results wrong. I had one job…

We’ll get a rematch in the tourney, unless I don’t make it across your board lol.
LiChess has worse UI than chess.com indeed, but it’s free. Can’t argue with free much, can we?

That was a tense game! Really enjoyed it.

e: haha lots of mistakes and blunders on both sides in that analysis!!

And Round One is complete! Here are the results, and the pairings for Round 2:

This is a Swiss tourney, so round two should be winners vs winners, etc. But because we have an odd number of games in each round, one pairing is winner vs non-winner. That game is @Juan_Raigada vs @krayzkrok.

The player listed at the top of each pairing should send the game invite to the other, settings here, though it really doesn’t matter if the other player starts it. Just be sure to have white/black set to random.

Good luck to all!

@krayzkrok, link to our game:

just an idea. After this tourney, we could have a thematic tournament where we play 1 opening in all games. I would think everybody should play the Queensgambit 1. d4 d5 2. c4

You can learn a lot if you focus on playing only one opening as black and as white. It’s a learning tool …

@AWS260 our game

@Mark_Crump

@schurem looks like I can’t send you a challenge. Can you send me one?

Invite sent.