Anyone want to play a game of chess?

Back when I played club chess decades ago, I learned to hate Blitz. An exercise in frustration and making myself feel stupid. Now it turns out that someone’s invented a time format even more bonkers. Bah, humbug, get off my lawn etc etc.

I’ve played several three- and five-minute games IRL on the clock – used to quite a bit. One-minute is just…insane.

Bullet chess to chess is like table tennis to tennis. It is not the same game. You need different type of skills, like pre-move-skills, dexterity skills and so on. Most of the time, I don’t use a mouse on my notebook, so no bullet for me.

Well that didn’t take long. I didn’t even make it too hard.

Loss for me.

Ouch.

I did like this bit of analysis from Lichess though:

Checkmate is now unavoidable. Qd5 was best.

define “best” in that situation…

Yeah, I can’t even make excuses. My head wasn’t in the game and I should’ve slowed way the heck down, we played the whole thing out in like ten or fifteen minutes, although it’s very easy to spot the point at which my back was against the wall.

He just straight outplayed me, solidly. Good game, sir!

Nah I see it. Qd5 means if he takes my knight with his pawn, I’ve got his with my queen, which keeps him from backing me into the corner like that. Would’ve been a good move, lol.

I find it interesting that after move 8, equal material it is already +5.8 according to the machine. That’s how big the center control is.

Truth!

I played that game a lot differently than I usually play – normally focusing on center control and I almost always castle queen-side. Tried something different this time, and it didn’t work out for me (although the castle was not my singular problem, admittedly.)

It looks like it only jumps to +5.8 after 8. …Nc6, so I suspect it’s factoring in the inevitable loss of the f6 Knight and/or the general trauma that’s about to happen on Black’s kingside.

Trauma, indeed! Once he had the bishop pinning the knight to queen, I knew I was in trouble. That’s where it all went horribly wrong.

Yup, thanks. Crazy at work yesterday, hopefully today I can get to it.

Actually the pin wasn’t the best move at all. The immediate e5 wins on the spot because you can’t move the knight. The Stockfish engine on Lichess shows this, but not the reason.
I’ve used your game in the training session with kids U10 today. What made your game interesting is that the position after 9.e5 Nfd7 is a near standard case of the classic Greek Gift sacrifice. So 10.Bxh7+! smashes Black immediately. After 10. - Kxh7 11.Ng5+ Black has 4 options. 3 of them - Kh8, Kh6 and Kg8 - lose routinely, the 4th - 11.-Kg6 allows a White win after either of the typical moves 12.h4 or 12.Qd3 (Qg4) f5 13.Qg3. The computer shows the details.

Finished up our round 4 queen’s gambit game.

Ivana: Do you know how we keep warm in Russia?

Austin Powers: I can guess, baby.

Ivana: We play chess.

Austin Powers: I guessed wrong.

well, our game is getting really hot now. If this does not keep you warm…

I took a glance at your game. Spicy!

Queen’s gambit game with @Juan_Raigada. Really fun game that one.

depending on what side of the beating you are.

We have 2 more games in the QG tournament.

Yeah it was pretty good!