Anything New or Different About GTA DoublePack?

I see that the GTA DoublePack for XBox is shipping in a couple weeks. Is this just a pure port of the existing games to the XBox? Is there anything new or different about the XBox version?

The one specific thing I’d like to see would be to upgrade the GTA III map to the GTA VC map. I played Vice City first and was completely unable to play GTA III when I tried it later b/c the map just sucked. I got addicted to using the ingame map to navigate - I was able to learn the city from within the game, not by studying the paper map outside the game. If they fixed that in GTA III, I’d buy the double pack just to see GTA III.

Failing that, is there any reason to buy the Doublepack if you already have the games for PS2 or PC?

Dan

From what I understand it’s visual tweaks and the ability to add custom soundtracks.

That’s IT? <Grumble>

No $50 for them, then!

Dan

PS Having just read that KOTOR PC is going to have extra quests, I can say that I WILL blow my $50 on that :)

That’s IT? <Grumble>

No $50 for them, then!

Dan[/quote]

It’s a good deal for those that haven’t played it. I made it through a lot of GT2, but barely scratched VC. I am going to pick it up for the convenience.

That’s the spirit. What, were you expecting Rockstar to actually put any effort into fixing a game they’ve made a boatload of cash on? I’d hope that they’d at least fix the savegame corruption and Hyman Condo bugs, but i wouldn’t hold my breath knowing them.

If you want to give GTA3 a spin, you’re better off going with the PC version for the fan-made map graphics. The map’s pretty useful after you install one of those. You’ll still have to get used to not being able to jump out of moving cars though.

Hmm, where can I check out the fan-made map stuff? Know of any good sites? I do own GTA III for the PC but I didnt get into it b/c of the map problem. If I can just mod the map, I’ll do that.

Dan

That’s IT? <Grumble>

No $50 for them, then!

Dan[/quote]

It’s a good deal for those that haven’t played it. I made it through a lot of GT2, but barely scratched VC. I am going to pick it up for the convenience.[/quote]

You already have both games? What’s convenient about buying them again? That they’re both on one CD?

http://www.gta3mods.de/cgi-bin/topdl/download.pl?file=JB-GPS-Radar1.1

or

http://www.gta3mods.de/cgi-bin/topdl/download.pl?file=Gps_color_radar_v2

Apparently, there’s a mod for bailing out of a moving car too.

That’s IT? <Grumble>

No $50 for them, then!

Dan[/quote]

It’s a good deal for those that haven’t played it. I made it through a lot of GT2, but barely scratched VC. I am going to pick it up for the convenience.[/quote]

You already have both games? What’s convenient about buying them again? That they’re both on one CD?[/quote]

Not having to install them on my PC again to play is good enough for me. Being able to play on my 29" flat screen TV instead of my 19" monitor is also a bonus. Lastly, I prefer driving with a controller over a keyboard and mouse.

To help answer the question - http://xbox.ign.com/articles/456/456539p1.html

Ah. I thought you had the PS2 versions. You don’t have a PS2?

If I recall correctly DaveC has all three consoles.

– Xaroc

I must be the only person that preferred driving with the keyboard.

When combined with the ease of mouse/keyboard for aiming, I find playing it on a console a step backward. (The exception is the helicopter missions of Vice City, which sucked on the PC.)

I agree with steve. I drove with the mouse/keyboard and preferred it to using a controller on the PC.

Heh, I almost was dumb enough to buy a gamepad just for GTA3 PC the time it came out ‘to play it the way it’s meant to be played’. I hadn’t tested the game on PS2, thus not knowing how the controls are. Fortunately I could borrow a gamepad (Logitech Wingman) from a friend of mine. The device itself is ok and it has basically as many buttons and sticks as the PS2 gamepad has. However, after playing GTA3 for a few minutes then I unplugged the thing and switched to mouse/keyboard. Which turned out to be way more enjoyable to me. I also have no trouble controlling the cars via keyboard since that’s I played almost any PC racing game before.

The main reason I prefer the console controls over the PC version is the analogue bit. That is, you can control your speed by pushing harder or lighter on the buttons, allowing far better control.

I played GTA3 on the PC and Vice City on the PS2, and found myself having a far easier time controlling in on the latter due to this.

Did those playing with a gamepad on the PC have analogue buttons? That could affect their view of the difference.

Did those playing with a gamepad on the PC have analogue buttons? That could affect their view of the difference.

Not the one I used. But it wasn’t the driving part that made me switch to keyboard/mouse, it was walking around + aiming.

The driving is far better on the PS2 but the aiming is far better on the PC. On the PC a lot of the cars experienced what I can only describe as torque oversteer. Turning corners and pressing on the accellerator caused the back end to come out uncontrollably. I think this was mainly due to not being able to choose more than full one direction or full accelleration.

– Xaroc

I’d hope that they’d at least fix the savegame corruption and Hyman Condo bugs, but i wouldn’t hold my breath knowing them.

Okay I searched everywhere, but didn’t see any complaints or issues that you are complaining about. I think GTA 3 and VC were some of the most polished error free games I have played, I have not patched either and had no issues. But yeah, lazy developers, knowing them… wtf?

Chet

The easy solution is to use the keyboard and mouse for on foot, and whip out the joystick for cars, boats, and helicopters.

I was a fucking GOD with the Hunter when I broke out the joystick. Blew through 12 levels of Vigilante with unbelievable ease.