AoE3 Patch 1.05 Released!

I’m TroyGoodfellow, I think. It’s been a while.

Troy

I’d be up for an Age 3 game with anyone who – like me – hasn’t played it in a few months.

Oh, and threadjack: I’m Tchick on Battle for Middle Earth II. Anyone for a game?

I just wanted to quote this in case Natus edits what has to be the worst misuse of who/whom I’ve seen in a long time! :)

-Tom

You big loser! Aren’t there already three BfME2 threads for that? I’m sorry, but preferring BfME2 to AoE3 is like preferring mouthwash to a fine wine. At a certain point, it’s just undrinkable!

I just wanted to quote this in case Natus edits what has to be the worst misuse of who/whom I’ve seen in a long time! :)

-Tom

Oh, SNAP!

I’ll be on tonight probably around 9:30 or so EST tonight to play, I haven’t had a good match yet in it, either I win by rush, or the other guy wins by rush. I did have a match where the guy picked russia and attacked me with around 100 strelet, and a bunch of other stuff I couldn’t see under the blue cloud of death.

Funny, pfreak. Except for my first two games (Otto rushes), I’ve had some really great matchups, and as I play Russia, I’ve ended up winning late game or, best of all, clawing my way back from certain defeat.

I’ll look for you guys online. I just got kicked in the teeth by a Dutch player who skirmed me to death (Tom, I know that’s not actually a verb!) and then brought in cannon and muskets for the kill. Ouch!

So I tried the attack move a couple of times and I’d like to give it thumbs down. At least without the attack move I got in the habit of using proper micro like setting up janisaries up to attack horses with my abus guns trained on the infantry. The attack move becomes quickly a big muddled mess. It’s nowhere near as clean as the Warcraft III attack move.

Yeah one thing that was odd was that I told a group of infantry, cavalry and cannon to attack move, and the cannon got into fire mode and started to move slowly, but if I right clicked a few more times to try to get them out of it, they didn’t.

Did have a good standoff, Otto(me) vs port. Came down to his huge army against my smaller army backed up by great bombards. I made the mistake to focus on his fort first and didn’t use the bombards to kill his troops.

The problem with Ensembles’ attack move (as well as general attack) is that units will try to engage at their MAXIMUM range - so instead of everyone moving foward 20% and then engaging, all the rear troops slowly circle around the flanks in a giant arc.

Thing is Blizzard games have this same problem, only that units are much larger, ranges are shorter, and War3 has fewer units, so the whole effect is lessened. It still happens if you use, say, NE archers vs. a building.

But when you try to attack a Town Center this way in Age3 it causes your whole army to get all Zulu and reinact the Horns of the Buffalo thing. Best to move them foward manually and get them all in range.

My biggest beef is that i wish units would prioritize shooting units instead of buildings. If i leave an army alone for a few seconds, and they’ve killed all the units, they start attacking buildings. If new enemy units subsequently enter the area they still keep attacking buildings. Little annoyances like that really grate on me.

OTOH i had some fun last night online. Age3 is still probably the cleanest new RTS in multiplayer, and unlike other RTS games that have sketchy connectivity it always works for me.

Very hard to kill troops with mortars, if not impossible. Don’t even know if you can.

I went down again today against a Port player in the marsh, who rushed with MUSKETEERS! Who does that, against a Russina player with strelets? But it worked, as he was using Spyglass to see where my gatherers were. Pushed him back, he went Fortress, I didn’t, game over.

I’m losing a lot now (before the patch I had a good win streak), but they are all good games.

My army was janni, some cavalry archers, and 4 or 5 great bombards, earlier I scared away his army with a great bombard that gave me time to age up to 4.

when you try to attack a Town Center this way in Age3 it causes your whole army to get all Zulu and reinact the Horns of the Buffalo thing.

Awesome.

-Tom

I’ll be on again tonight around 9:30. Tomorrow I’m going away for spring break so I won’t be back til Wednesday.

And an update from the thread I made earlier, I picked up Age of Empires ds today for the flight, tried the first mission and it looks ok so far.