Apex Legends - battle royale in the Titanfall universe

This is how I got good at PUBG. Only way to learn how to effectively use everything!

I guess this is why there’s no solo queues:

Titan hitboxes are also going to be a lot larger than Wraith’s.

@new mode
I already have trouble moving around… hmpf! Clever movement is one of my main problems with this game… not sure if I’ll enjoy this mode. (btw. Do you guys press SHIFT/sprint all the time?)

Btw. After some dire Apex days I’ve had some nice matches today… but by now I seriously doubt I will get better by just playing more; feels not like practicing. There are so many situations when I just don’t know what’s the clever thing to do… today I got insulted twice (and for the first time at all, I think); in one case it really got me thinking. Although it was just insults. And insults in general are a no go for me and I don’t care about them, but I could see that I might have behaved clumsy again. Like… I behaved in this last match. My personal highlight of being just disoriented and lost:
Two squads left. Ours the most noob squad I have ever been in. So we have spotted the other squad, but they obviously had secured themselves the perfect position. Without being able to make a decision, have clear communication… or whatever… we died at three complete different locations, without shooting at the last squad, mostly by the Ring and by running around like some crazy people who enjoy getting shot…yeah. We were a good laugh, I guess. I just didn’t know what to do…

Well, I’d love some guide that teaches you 20 typical combat situations and… what to do. Because I’m really great at repeating not-knowing-what-to-do-doing-something-stupid. And I still panic way too often. Any video/guides on this topic? : )

You throw all your grenades at their location, and then rush them.

Seriously, this is what you do at that point. Often, being the team that is dug in can be a detriment at the end of the game.

Also, if you want to really have the best chance, go towards gunfire. Ideally, at the end of the game, you want to have the other two squads fighting each other, and then jump in like the giant eagles at the end of the battle of the five armies… Only if the eagles just murdered all the humans, dwaves, and elves too. Just murder the remnants of whoever wins the shootout, while they are weak.

Yeah, catching teams that are either already engaged or healing/looting after an engagement is the best time to attack. If you see guys standing over boxes, that’s the time to shoot. They have to get out of the menu, find you, and shoot you… by then hopefully you’ve already had a grenade go off at their feet and put a bunch of lead into at least one of them to down them.

Once that happens, you’ve made it an unfair fight because anything short of 3 on 3 usually doesn’t go well for the guys down a man. They don’t call it a power play in hockey for nothing. Same applies here.

That’s the spirit! See, some people are just like me. Such a pity it’s such an unfulfilled suicide.

While I recognize the elegant design and flawless execution with Apex Legends much of my experience tends to lean into the feeling of frustration.

So I decided to give Apex Legends a long session last night to feel out if I want to stick with it or take a break for a while.

I don’t think I am as fond of the hot drops as others are here. Any match with a hot drop is usually one of chaos and quick deaths. I tend to prefer a quieter landing to better prepare for fights. Actually the rounds where my team picks a less hotly contested area are primarily the ones where we end up in the top 5 remaining squads whereas hot drops typically down 1-2 of us and leave us incapacitated for the rest of the match. Yes, the survivor(s) grab the banner(s) and head to a rez spot but that usually just notifies all the nearby teams that swarm in to the the rez station once they hear the dropship.

I have found the execution animations non-ideal. They are nice for bypassing a downed player with a shield but I had so many moments where I was shot/downed while the animation plays out or my teammates just shoot the victim of the execution while the animation plays out and steal my kill.

===

I did have a memorable moment from my session last night. One of my teammates disconnected early in the match so that left 2 of us. We also got a bit separated from each other so I was mostly alone and far from the circle. I was trying to cover a lot of ground fast so I ziplined up to one of the balloons and planned to fly over a tall natural rock bridge and land closer to the safe circle. Unfortunately the balloon didn’t provide enough height and I couldn’t make it over the rock formation, smacked headfirst into it and slid down to hit the ground.

Not great, but then I saw an opportunity materializing. I saw another lone enemy separated from their team in the same situation and one whom was forming the same plan. Having just executed that plan I knew exactly what would happen. I set myself up in a nice nook in the rocks and watched the dude fly up to the balloon, follow my same path and smack his face into the rock only to fall into my trap. While he hit the ground in confusion I opened up my LMG and melted him before he could even find me…

His dead body just floated in the air, which was odd, and then I was greeted with a disconnect. Ugh!

It’s easier/better to just punch out the downed players unless they don’t have a shield. If they have a shield it doesn’t block punches. The finisher is for just being a jerk. :)

Punching is a great tactic in a hot drop. For example I was running into bunker and a dude got one step ahead of me. I punched him which sent him bouncing off the wall and I got to a gun first. Also rushing a person who just got a gun and punching them works on most players.

Executions are primarily just style things… you totally don’t need to do them. But, to be clear, no one can “steal your kill” by shooting a downed guy. Whoever downed the guy is the person who gets the kill. If someone else is getting credit for that kill, it means you weren’t the one who put them down.

Punching is way underrated as an early tactic and it should be the goto for finishing people off if you have the time to use it. That said, downed players mean someone from their team is alive so you should be looking for that dude instead of punching the downed dude. If they don’t have a shield I’ll shoot em full of holes though so they can’t be revived for that fight at least.

I got another win last night with only a couple engagements. You really don’t want to be in ALL the fights unless you’re a god. I don’t think any of us are worth of being a deity in this game, though. Vultures? Yes.

Ah, got it. I don’t care too much about stats since I’m sure my K/D ratio is deep in the negative anyway. For some reason I thought actually ending a downed person is what contributes to kill stats and that a knockdown is a different stat, but your explanation makes more sense. Just a bit of confusion on my part.

I’ve had to skip around between different characters because of team choices lately so on the ones that I haven’t played much I unlocked the “Games Played” banner for my dude. Level 20 with single digit kills doesn’t mean you don’t know what you’re doing.

I have always thought these games would be better if everybody started with a pistol. It’s really no fun hot dropping and being completely weaponless while ARs pop off all around you. The punch is a poor, poor substitute.

Just because this stuff was in the code doesn’t mean it will ever make the game. They’ve been open about experimenting with wall running and double jumping and deciding it was no good for this game.

But this stuff was added RECENTLY.
It wasn’t in the code prior to a few days ago.

It’s certainly possible that they won’t add it in, but it means that they are at least CURRENTLY experimenting with it.

Right but it may never make it out of user testing.

Who knows! I can imagine the loot-box revenue potential of including Titans so I’m sure EA wants to find a way.

I think there’s a possibility that they’re using the current design to train people in moving fast using these specific weapons so that you can do a Pilot version of Apex Legends that incorporates Titans somehow. One of the constant criticisms of Titanfall was that people couldn’t get their head around the traversal possibilities. Well, you’re almost doing Pilot things in Apex… add a few more bits and bam, everyone knows how to play Titanfall. Apex is a solid middle ground between Call of Duty and becoming a Pilot of legend.