Apnea/CPAP?

The yeti has an ac plug, so don’t know why you’d need an adapter. Or is that just to charge it? Nope, it’s an output.

I believe its because if you use a DC converter, you can run the Yeti in DC mode instead of AC which will make the battery last much longer. Running on straight AC will only give you around 4-5 hours of use.

Yeah, seems like it would be less than 3 actually, with typical power consumption on resumed airsense 10 at 53w

Right right, some videos I checked out showed the power consumption of the yeti lower when going through the DC plug through the converted to the CPAP vs the AC plug directly to the CPAP. Or if I went with the battery pack only, I would need a small little plug to a female cigarette lighter plug.

It’s all a major PITA - but honestly, I’d rather get something like this and have a relaxing night camping/hiking vs. being cranky the next day because I snored my ass off.

How often do you go camping? Have you considered getting one of the mini/travel units just for that purpose? It would be a big expense, but might be worth it if this is something you are going to do routinely.

not TOO often. I could see myself using it maybe on average of once or twice a month. Not worth the outlay of a travel unit. As I believe I’d still need to get some type of battery for it as well!

True, but looks like they (some at least) have much lower power consumption. Some are designed to run off/come with a battery too. Guess it’d depend on how long you’d be camping. I’m no expert, but worth checking out before you spend hundreds on a battery, esp if you are going to use it once or twice a month.

Still haven’t used mine for first time after 4 days yet–need to setup a nightstand dammit.

If you ever plan to sleep in a chair/recliner it could be wise to get a stand that you can wheel around. If my wife gets sick sometimes I will sleep in the recliner in the living room and it can be a pain taking everything apart and moving it around etc.

Anyone ever use one of these with theirs? https://www.amazon.ca/SoClean-AirSense-Adapter-Cleaner-Sanitizer/dp/B00AQ2K1Y2/

I actually recently purchased one of those. I’ve used it for a few weeks now and it seems to do a good job. The only issue some people seem to have is that it uses ionization and it leaves a noticeable odor in the mask. It dissipates after a few minutes but there are people that it bothers. I can verify that the odor does exist but it doesn’t bother me. I have mask wipes I use nightly that have a slight orange scent so that may help.

@rei don’t let a nightstand issue hold you back. Break out a simple folding table and use that at night. The biggest hurdle for me was setting up the consult with the DME to get the equipment. Once That was done, and I had the equipment at home I couldn’t ignore it anymore. I told myself that I was going to man up and use it. not sometimes, not take it off in the middle of the night, but just deal with it and adjust. (And things worked out!!)

I was under the impression that I would be replacing my mask/hose from time to time. I’m not sure if I would drop $300 on a device to clean my mask/nose pillows and the lighter weight hose. It doesn’t appear to be able to fit the much longer, heated hose.

I drop my nose pillows in to a diluted soapy water solution daily, and once a week run soapy water through all the other hoses and wipe down the water reservoir with a wet wipe.

Last few nights were not very good. The mask keeps moving, air is leaking, the machine goes into overdrive trying to compensate and the noise just drives me crazy. I see now why people are recommending a nose mask. Its probably easier to keep it in place.
So I called the clinic asking if I can switch to a nose mask, I actually realised that I can breath through my nose quite well. I don’t know why I have this fear of breathing through my nose. The the lady there was sceptical because of my nose issues, and also claimed that I should use the mask during waking hours so that it will gradually mold itself to my face and be a better fit.

I am not sure about that last part. Is it really a thing?

I got one of these to put it on for tonight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESoELScLl98

I’m the guy in the B&W parts of the commercial for sure.

If the mask is shifting easily, it may be a bit loose. Take care not to over-tighten, but it ought to be relatively stable.

I found the nose pillow to be a lot easier to use. You can shift though and get leaks, but my case is pretty mild. The mask is still supposed to be better, overall and some people with nose pillows need the chin strap, I don’t. Apparently the pressure was enough for me to basically stop all open mouth snoring.

All masks will leak. Once you get used to CPAP just like anything you will start to learn how to fit the mask etc. I think most people when starting out tend to tighten too much. I realized over time by loosening it up a bit it worked much better (as others have already stated above).

As far as shaping the mask, I think it is more getting used to it. So sitting on with it more during the day may help with being more comfortable during the night and can help get used to the pressure especially if it is a high one. Usually you are replacing the silicone pieces regularly because they wear out so not sure if shaping it applies. YMMV

The nasal pillows blow the air right in your nose and I agree with Nesrie can be more comfortable especially because there is less silicone on your face. However, if you get nose bleeds you need to try them and may learn they will not work. Your pressure can really determine how comfortable you are with the air blowing in directly. I do find when I use a nasal pillow the air does seem to dry me out enough if my nose is dripping a bit from my allergies.

It’s quite interesting to hear what others have done. I’ve gotten a small table to go along side my bed. as I mentioned before I’m using the nose pillows and was concerned with opening my mouth - the DME sent me a chin strap which I have never used, as I actually have learned to keep my mouth closed totally. The pressure/noise it makes when I do open my mouth is quite annoying and I wake instantly up.

I’ve also learned that I really don’t like the heated air… not at all. Trying with the heated tube on, was a single night trial. Ever since it’s been off. I’ve always enjoyed sleeping when it’s nice and cool in my bed room. I do the the humidity on, although - I haven’t tried with that off just yet. I do want to give that a try.

I really wouldn’t recommend going without the humidity unless your ambient relative humidity is pretty high. And I gather the purpose of the heated hose with the coil is to prevent condensation buildup within the hose in a cool room. Sometimes in the summer I’ve found it annoying because I don’t have A/C (although I plan to get central air installed soon, because climate change is starting to make our summers in Portland hotter and muggier than before), but it’s not so much the warm air as the hose itself being warm and ending up under my blanket or whatever.

I ran out of water in the tank one night and work up with my mouth so dry that parts of my mouth were stuck together until I could get some water. I would try adjusting the level of humidity down before shutting it off completely.