Apnea/CPAP?

I’m guessing you have a full face mask? Yea my humidity is set to auto… I think I’ll typically have that always on during the winter, as it gets very dry in the house (in New England.) If anything I’ll do exactly as you mentioned @geewhiz drop the humidity selector from auto to some setting in the middle to see how it is.

I use a nasal mask and switch to nasal pillows type every so often when I need a change of pace (usually for about a week every so often). I tried a face mask but they leak for me all over.

Anybody gain weight once they started using CPAP? I started using one at the beginning of last year and instantly gained twenty pounds. I’m pissed, because my doctor had promised I would actually lose weight. The much better sleep is nice, though. I used to fall asleep pretty easily and instantly hit REM, and I was always congested, but CPAP fixed that.

I do not see how using a CPAP can in anyway cause weight gain. I think that this is one of those “correlation is not causality” things. If anything it should give you more energy to burn off more calories.

According to the Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine:
Changes in weight are inextricably linked to obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). Weight gain is a risk for both the development and increased severity of OSA. … Treatment of OSA with continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) should therefore prevent further weight gain or facilitate weight loss.

Happened to me too. My sleep doctor referred me to my regular doc to have my pituitary gland checked out, a suggestion he laughed at once I saw him. I’ve probably gained 30lb since using it, starting in Oct of 2016.

Isn’t the thyroid gland and its hormone the one that controls metabolism?

I think I would remember if I weighed substantially less before starting treatment in late August 2014. It may have crept up a bit though (more due to being nearly 57 and liking to eat–I’m at around 190 and 5’10", and at 30 I weighed about 160). Maybe there’s a “whew, this should help me lose weight, maybe I can relax a bit on what I put in my mouth” factor? Just spit-balling here.

@John_Reynolds what do you mean about your doctor laughing at the pituitary gland suggestion?

My provider said I would lose fifty pounds. I did not believe her. I have not really gained or lost weight but that mentality is not unique to your provider alone.

I think sleeping better helps some, but honestly from what I’ve heard of the research, sleeping MORE helps more in the weight regulation struggle. I think most of us (myself very much included–I’m a night owl, like my TV series and games) are getting what, maybe 6.5 hours most nights, instead of about an hour more which is what we should be getting?

I think weight gain is gonna be influenced by how much you are eating or medications, not breathing apparatus. I can understand that if one has been chronically tired and you get more sleep that an increase in energy could make one be more active.

For the men a drop in levels of testosterone as we get older is probably the biggest culprit (besides being sedentary).

Anyway here is an article that basically states we really do not know (we need wore research):

Yes and no. When the body doesn’t get enough rest, it doesn’t function properly. So rest is part of the equation but only part of it not all of it. So on some level it makes sense these physicians are saying you’ll lose weight when you get the proper sleep cycle, but other factors could outweigh it.

There’s also the theoreatical over-release of cortisol/stress hormones when you’re constantly almost choking to death in your sleep which can do fun stuff to your metabolism and body in general. . .

I was told At the apnea clinic that interrupted sleep causes fat accumulating, especially around the face and hips.
In any case I haven’t had a proper night sleep since I started using it, so I’m spared CPAP
induced weight gain ✌

Doctor said CPAP would make my penis larger.

Don’t forget that Dickhouse Productions has their very unique CPAP mask that’s worth trying if others have failed you.

Did you guys know you can run open-source CPAP software to read your own data?

So I’m loathe to spend the $1000 on a sleep study (my insurance doesn’t pay for it) just so I can get a CPAP. I’m hoping as I lose weight my need for it will diminish, but in the meantime, is it safe/feasible to buy a CPAP without a prescription?

You should ask about the take-home test. Ask about HST or Home Sleep Test. It’s MUCH cheaper, like 1/4 of the cost of the in-office test.

You can’t buy one without a prescription (except used from a private seller perhaps). Moreover, the machines are expensive and if you haven’t gotten a diagnosis, you will have to eat that cost. Sounds like @skipper is on the money. As for losing weight, it depends. Weight can be a factor, but not necessarily.

Yup. My supervisor at work is in his late 40s (about 9 years younger than me), and he’s in fantastic shape (mostly because he works out with a dedication I could never muster). In no way is he overweight, but he’s got apnea and uses a CPAP machine.

Unfortunately not really. I guess you could DIY your therapy, but typically your sleep doctor is the one that will prescribe your sleep pressure settings and help you get the mask set up.

It would be infinitely cheaper to go through an online seller for the machine. As my insurance was charging me 300 bucks a month over 6 months for my machine, which is like 1800 bucks (same machine can be found online for like 900) but, I couldn’t imagine doing it any other way.

Weight loss can help, but it is in no way the only cause of your apnea. I have a friend that is skinny as a rail, and he had horrible apnea, and was recommended surgery to remove some of his over-large palate. It has a lot to do with genetics. My much lighter and healthier younger brother has apnea as well, it just runs in my family.

I know the cost can be prohibitive, and I ended up paying nearly 1000 out of pocket for my sleep study with insurance, but it was worth it.

Also, no miraculous weight loss here, just more restful sleep, less dry mouth, etc.