Apnea/CPAP?

Do people here use a full face mask or just a nasal one?

I use a nasal one but in the winter with the constant colds I’ve barely been able to use it lately.

I switched from a full to the Resmed F30. Fewer leaks since it doesn’t go over the bridge of the nose.

I went with the nose pillows only and it appeared to work well in the past year when I first tried it. But the constant coughing from acid reflux has prevented me from using the CPAP at all these past few months. Hopefully the surgery allows me to do that.

No, therapy isn’t something I have really thought of. It is an option, but my insurance won’t pay for it so I am little reluctant to go down that road (they also wouldn’t pay for a sleep test).

As in the apps to make your screens warmer? I do use it on my Phone and generally try to avoid too much screen time an hour before bed. I usually read on a Kindle before bed. I have read a book on sleep (there are tons out there it seems) and a few articles on sleep, and I have tried all the suggestions, only sleeping in bed, no screens, watching what I eat/drink, etc. Nothing has worked for me.

Sleep doctor said my past drinking behavior might have messed up my brain chemistry so now I sleep sober like I do when I drink.

I don’t think I have seen it with THC listed, but then again, I haven’t gone the doctor route. Seems easy enough to just stop by a local store and see what they have. It’s been close to 30 years since I was stoned, so I can’t say I wouldn’t like trying the real thing again too. I am reluctant to get into a position where I have to rely on it though.

My mother swears by pot for her various medical problems, but she never had issues sleeping.

I have seen it mentioned, but I already have a diet of magnesium heavy foods (I eat a lot of nuts, leafy greens, beans). Maybe I should try a supplement first? Thanks for the idea.

Isn’t magnesium citrate what they give you flush out your digestive track though?

CBT is just stuff you can use from a free iPhone app.

Many cost $$ but there’s a handful of good (ugly though) free ones. I think the CBTI Coach one for veterans is one such free one.

I have lost a little weight, but am also sleeping more comfortably on my side then in the past. I know that when I was sleeping on my back I had more problems. It could be the new pillow that is allowing me to do this?

https://www.mypillow.com/

I use nose pillows only. My wife uses a full mask (which is a pain if she tries to talk to me, I can’t understand a word she says while wearing it).

Mike and Molly had brief fun with that too… along with the loudest machine ever.

MyPillow is overpriced garbage from a big Trump supporter and isn’t recommended. It’s cheaply-filled and waaay overpriced with initially a predatory subscription model.

Nasal one. But I keep a supply of Afrin on hand in case I need to nuke my sinuses because congestion is forcing me to mouth breathe.

Nasal mask.

I have found when I am congested, the force of the air ends up pushing out the congestion, opening up my nasal airways. Takes a minute or two, but it works really well.

I use just the “nasal pillows” type mask, not the “over the nose” type. As @JonRowe, I find that my normal nasal congestion (allergy-driven, not due to colds/flu) clears sufficiently after about 10 minutes on my back if I help it along by making an effort to breathe through my nose.

Nasal pillow only here, the kind that just rests on my nose not the one with anything sticking in the nose. I don’t like the suffocating sensation of a full mask on my face. I feel like, and I know it’s unlikely but hey fear is not always rational, that if my machine stops I will not just die when it’s only a pillow. Definitely removes that closed in feel.

Yeah same, I can feel my nasal passages clearing as the machine ramps up the pressure. YMMV but I have found that using the CPAP has helped my congestion significantly. It also helps that I seemed to have (knock on wood) dodged any cold or flu this season.

Really, no little nozzles on the “pillow”? How does it stay in place? What brand?

Just pressure. I do replace it on schedule though. It can get a little less firm after long use. It’s Phillips.

I use a different model of Philips called the Nuance Pro-- looks like this:

https://goo.gl/images/1mNeKU

Yeah I told them there was no way in hell anything was going into my nose.They showed me this, and it works.

I have this same “mask.” It’s the Phillips Respironics Dreamwear. I’ve been using a CPAP for 10 or 15 years now, and it’s the best mask I’ve ever used.

That’s what I use, The Philips Dreamwear. Its by far the most comfortable CPAP mask I’ve used. Its an interesting concept as it uses it own air pressure to create a good seal without a lot of mask pressure on your face. I like that you can sleep on your side and it doesn’t restrict airflow to the mask at all. I had a lot of problems side sleeping with other masks, I have none with the Dreamwear. It also feeds the air from the top of your head instead of from the front of the mask, which keeps the hose out of the way quite nicely. If you’re a side sleeping and are having mask issue this may be the mask for you. I can’t guarantee it, as masks don’t always work the same for everyone but based on my experience, its worth a shot.