Apology Judgement Thread of Humiliation

I agree with you except for this section. I don’t see the point in working so hard to vilify the guy… seems off the proper topic at hand so to speak. We can agree he’s back at work prematurely and without making amends in a healthy way but ‘stealthing and OMG shock value’ makes you sound like you don’t understand comedy or Louis.

At least you didn’t include the ol’ “whipped his dick out” quote. I swear, folks out for his blood seem to love saying that juuuust a little too much if you ask me.

Do you consider yourself to be more of a “smooth Asian”? Asking for a friend.

Man, you just made me Google that.

You must realize that people who earn a living performing on television make these types of mistakes constantly. You must also realize that when you say King and then Junior quickly, there’s a pretty good opportunity for those two sounds to get mixed up and come out as “coon”. Unless this guy has a past history of saying racist stuff, it’s very unlikely that he’s putting his career at risk just to get in a sneaky racist jab. We’re so afraid of racism that we’re willing to ruin people’s lives over honest mistakes.

Well said.

I was just riffing off of the monitor thread, because I’m still laughing at that post days later.

That’s a fair point and more a factor of my annoyance over his refusal to actually own up to it combined with my hatred of gun violence and its effect on the country.

It’s possible he says it all the time in private, but the video of the incident makes it seem more like a straight up flub by speaking too fast. He doesn’t say “coon” clearly at all. It’s more like a “kuhn” as if his mouth is trying to say two things at once.

I guess it doesn’t matter since he got canned anyway.

Even if he’s a horrible racist, I don’t think he said it on purpose. I truly don’t understand the idiots that make their hate hand gestures or whatever in public. But IF he’s a horrible racist, it’s probably something that would easily slip out. After all, if he’s sitting around with his other racist buddies talking shit about the damn blacks, it’s a phrase he’s likely used to throwing out there.

At any rate, I would have investigated a bit more to see if he actually has a history of it on social media, etc, before just firing the guy.

This is fair, but he did apologize, right?

In terms of charity, even before any of this, he had donated mountains of money to charities benefiting women. Hell, he donated a quarter of the money he made on his Netflix special to women’s charities.

He may have continued to do this without telling folks, as even if he did i suspect people would say that he was only don’t it to try and but his way back into things.

It’s entirely possible he just flubbed it, I’m just saying of all the flubs you make it’s one of the worst ones.

I have a problem with “maybe he says racist things privately with his buddies” even being a factor to consider here. Are we so afraid of secret racists that we need to entertain these possibilities without evidence?

He apologized up to a point. Lots of folks picked apart his statement and felt it didn’t go far enough. And of course he supports women and charities and Better Things, etc.

I suspect the problem is he feels this is personal and shouldn’t be played out in public. He’s being too stubborn about it in certain key areas, probably due to shame. If he’s hoping things will die down eventually, I don’t think they will if he doesn’t do more to fess up or publicly atone. But he probably thinks celebrity interviews where famous people apologize and try to make things right with the public are horseshit and he’s right.

I think guys like him use the stage as therapy. Maybe negative reactions to his stand up sets will help him in the long run. I like the way that club owner in Denver handled it.

Most racists are pretty damn open about it these days, thanks to Trump and friends. But like I said, I’d investigate a bit before firing the guy. If I did turn up anything like that though, off he’d go.

We do have some evidence though, don’t we? The guy said Martin Luther Coon on live TV. I’ve never said that phrase in my life and I’ve said his name a pretty decent amount. He stars in one of my daughter’s favorite bedtime stories. But barring any further evidence, it’s probably just a really bad flub of the tongue.

I don’t think in isolation that rises to the level of “fire his ass.”

Right, which is why I wouldn’t have fired him without further evidence.

But when the alternative is defending the guy who said Martin Luther Coon on TV, well…

In the unlikely event it was just an honest slip of the tongue, I like strummer’s phrase “collateral damage in the war on hate.”

Somehow I think y’all would be a little less sanguine about collateral damage if it was your career that got destroyed by flubbing up a word. Because let’s be honest, he’s not being picked up by another local news outlet now.

If he’s a racist POS I have no sympathy, but the clip doesn’t indicate that to me. I’m sure hoping the station had more to go on, because if not it is pretty shitty of them.

Yeah, the stakes are too high for such a small piece of evidence in this case, IMO.

As a university professor, I’m well aware that one improper statement and any resulting controversy could lead to me losing my job very quickly. If that happened, I would understand and believe that the cause was just even if I was a victim of circumstances and had been misconstrued.

If ML Coon was an honest mistake, this guy will be okay with losing his job over it… maybe not right away, but eventually. If it was a slip of a racist tongue, then I bet he’ll stay mad as hell about it until the day he dies.

These days I’m VERY ONBOARD with the hard push to end hate.