Apology Judgement Thread of Humiliation

We always order food from a local Italian place when we return home from a trip, so nobody has to cook. They make good calzones, manicotti and lasagna. But their pizza is like what you just described. You feel sick after looking at the box afterwards. So we never order their pizza.

For pizza we get delivery from a local chain, Me-N-Eds.

Now, bad pizza with beer might be better than bad sex. I am not sure. Probably a guy thing.

Papa Johns marketing guy: no matter what we try we just can’t establish a brand that stands out from Pizza Hut and Domino’s.
Papa John: hold my beer.

Not to make too much of a sex-based thing but I am thinking one partner might get more out bad sex than the other although both would prefer it just be good instead I’m sure.

As for pizza, I mostly shifted to local places because most our Pizza Hut and Dominos died awhile ago… I think we have one of each and neither deliver here. The biggest chain is probably Abby’s, and their dough just seems soggy to me.

This is amazing to me. I thought Ellio’s was available worldwide!

Oh hey, it IS available in the Publix by me now. That’s new!

Never heard of them. But their parent company owns Berliner-Kindl breweries, which is my wife’s favorite beer.

Can confirm it’s not here in SoCal. Don’t miss it either.

I have never in my life heard of Ellio’s.

Also, I love the fact that with all the weird crap in the news this week, we’ve still managed to fill up two threads in P&R about pizza.

All threads evolve to food discussions. It’s like a law of forum thermodynamics.

I wanted to cross-port this from the GotG thread, since I personally thought it was a decent apology:

My words of nearly a decade ago were, at the time, totally failed and unfortunate efforts to be provocative. I have regretted them for many years since — not just because they were stupid, not at all funny, wildly insensitive, and certainly not provocative like I had hoped, but also because they don’t reflect the person I am today or have been for some time.

Regardless of how much time has passed, I understand and accept the business decisions taken today. Even these many years later, I take full responsibility for the way I conducted myself then. All I can do now, beyond offering my sincere and heartfelt regret, is to be the best human being I can be: accepting, understanding, committed to equality, and far more thoughtful about my public statements and my obligations to our public discourse. To everyone inside my industry and beyond, I again offer my deepest apologies. Love to all.

All in all, I give it pretty high marks. He accepts full responsibility, indicates that he fully understands hat he did wrong and why, and accepts the consequences.

If we’re picking nits, then I think the only sour note in there is that he twice points out how old the wrong-doing was, which kind of hints at an appeal for some kind of statute of limitations and/or an excuse due to youthful stupidity. That said, I think you kind of have to note that the offense was in the distant past, at least to an extent… so I wouldn’t knock too many points off for that.

If there is an appeal to youthful stupidity, not sure that works. He’s 51. If he tweeted that stuff at 40, he was old enough to know better. “My words of nearly a decade ago…” - yeah, not something he did as a 22 year old.

I think Disney’s decision is understandable, but I think they could have gone another way, too. Gunn’s tweets were really out there. You don’t make jokes about underage boys touching you in your silly place. He said he wanted to be provocative, but why? What kind of judgement is that? You want him to helm your next $150M investment in a movie? What other things might come to light?

They’re fine with Depp.

And next in line…

The website Vulture reported that the video had been removed from the site without reason by 2012. It began to go viral this weekend after it resurfaced on 4Chan and was then shared by far-right subreddit The_Donald. One 4Chan user justified sharing the video created by Harmon – who has been a vocal critic of the US president, Donald Trump – as retribution for the downfall of Roseanne Barr: “If they get to take scalps for someone making racist jokes, we get to take scalps for them making paedophilia joke.”

In the spirit of the thread, here is Harmon’s apology:

In 2009, I made a ‘pilot’ which strove to parody the series Dexter and only succeeded in offending. I quickly realized the content was way too distasteful and took the video down immediately. Nobody should ever have to see what you saw and for that, I sincerely apologize.

Adult Swim’s response:

The offensive content of Dan’s 2009 video that recently surfaced demonstrates poor judgement and does not reflect the type of content we seek out. Dan recognized his mistake at the time and has apologized. He understands there is no place for this type of content here at Adult Swim.

I personally doubt that this gets any traction. Harmon’s apology was decent while noting that it was unquestionably a parody rather than his opinions or goals. I think most people know the difference between a comedian making jokes about showing off his genitals to a paying audience and a comedian forcing unwilling people to look at his genitals.

For context:

He sounds like some people I knew. In 7th grade.

One of my old accounts used to delete tweets after been up a week, it was more about being a moment in time rather than a record of thoughts. No one has what they rambled on about it a pub two weeks ago down as a matter of public record so why should twitter convos be held for posterity. It caught on amongst a handful of people too. I think its a good idea.

People can evolve, and I guess Hart has, but socmedia doesnt allow this. Just another reason in the Book of Why Socmedia Has Destroyed Society i suppose.