Apology Judgement Thread of Humiliation

This is fair, but he did apologize, right?

In terms of charity, even before any of this, he had donated mountains of money to charities benefiting women. Hell, he donated a quarter of the money he made on his Netflix special to women’s charities.

He may have continued to do this without telling folks, as even if he did i suspect people would say that he was only don’t it to try and but his way back into things.

It’s entirely possible he just flubbed it, I’m just saying of all the flubs you make it’s one of the worst ones.

I have a problem with “maybe he says racist things privately with his buddies” even being a factor to consider here. Are we so afraid of secret racists that we need to entertain these possibilities without evidence?

He apologized up to a point. Lots of folks picked apart his statement and felt it didn’t go far enough. And of course he supports women and charities and Better Things, etc.

I suspect the problem is he feels this is personal and shouldn’t be played out in public. He’s being too stubborn about it in certain key areas, probably due to shame. If he’s hoping things will die down eventually, I don’t think they will if he doesn’t do more to fess up or publicly atone. But he probably thinks celebrity interviews where famous people apologize and try to make things right with the public are horseshit and he’s right.

I think guys like him use the stage as therapy. Maybe negative reactions to his stand up sets will help him in the long run. I like the way that club owner in Denver handled it.

Most racists are pretty damn open about it these days, thanks to Trump and friends. But like I said, I’d investigate a bit before firing the guy. If I did turn up anything like that though, off he’d go.

We do have some evidence though, don’t we? The guy said Martin Luther Coon on live TV. I’ve never said that phrase in my life and I’ve said his name a pretty decent amount. He stars in one of my daughter’s favorite bedtime stories. But barring any further evidence, it’s probably just a really bad flub of the tongue.

I don’t think in isolation that rises to the level of “fire his ass.”

Right, which is why I wouldn’t have fired him without further evidence.

But when the alternative is defending the guy who said Martin Luther Coon on TV, well…

In the unlikely event it was just an honest slip of the tongue, I like strummer’s phrase “collateral damage in the war on hate.”

Somehow I think y’all would be a little less sanguine about collateral damage if it was your career that got destroyed by flubbing up a word. Because let’s be honest, he’s not being picked up by another local news outlet now.

If he’s a racist POS I have no sympathy, but the clip doesn’t indicate that to me. I’m sure hoping the station had more to go on, because if not it is pretty shitty of them.

Yeah, the stakes are too high for such a small piece of evidence in this case, IMO.

As a university professor, I’m well aware that one improper statement and any resulting controversy could lead to me losing my job very quickly. If that happened, I would understand and believe that the cause was just even if I was a victim of circumstances and had been misconstrued.

If ML Coon was an honest mistake, this guy will be okay with losing his job over it… maybe not right away, but eventually. If it was a slip of a racist tongue, then I bet he’ll stay mad as hell about it until the day he dies.

These days I’m VERY ONBOARD with the hard push to end hate.

Yeah, I’m going to go ahead and disagree with you there. I also don’t think that (if it is an honest mistake) destroying an innocent man’s career is going to end hate. If anything, that seems to me to be a potential catalyst for another “fuck this PC bullshit” recruit.

If it was in error (I have no idea) cant he sue for unfair dismissal?

I know the US legal system is in a piss poor state right now but its kind of what its there for right? To protect people from injustice?

On the issue of what counts as sufficient “penance” or apology, let me throw this out there:

One common facet of many of the bad acts referenced in this thread is that they often involve abuse of power or exploitation of power, often targeted at women.

So it seems to me that one key aspect of redeeming oneself would be to spend some time down in the lower part of the pecking order.

For example, Louis CK IMO should probably spend some time as a secondary or supporting player on someone else’s show, play well with others for a period of time, arguably work under the leadership of some women to show he really is over his sex-weird-power-trip-thing and then work his way back into the spot light.

I actually think unless these folks actually experience being on the lower end of the power spectrum again, they will never truly reform; and being able to tolerate being shat upon is probably IMO the strongest sign of reform.

Another way to put is these abusers/exploiters have blown the credibility and power they earned, and now they need to go back to the lower spots and pay their dues again, work their way back up.

I think the idea that you have to step down a few rungs and earn your way back up to celebrity/political power/what have you is key.

B/C to a large degree I think a lot of this stuff is about power.

I am not going to say anything about this guy in particular, but this is a thing that has happened a lot before. I seriously doubt anyone said this on purpose, because of course you would immediately lose your job. (whether it is a case of a commonly used word slipping in is another thing)

On his social media accounts, Kappell has been sharing stories of other meteorologists and broadcast personalities who also said they mistakenly inserted the word “coon” while pronouncing Martin Luther King Jr.'s name. In at least three similar incidents, all the TV personalities in question claimed they misspoke.

A Las Vegas weather reporter named Rob Blair was fired from his Las Vegas TV station in 2005 when he said the forecast would be in the mid-60s on “Martin Luther coon King Jr. Day.” Blair was fired, the general manager of the station said, because stumbling over his words was not a sufficient excuse.

In 2010, ESPN sports personality Mike Greenberg, of the “Mike & Mike” show, said he and co-host Mike Golic were “talking football with you on this Martin Luther coon King Jr. holiday.” He apologized that same day, saying he was “sorry that my talking too fast — and slurring my words — might have given people who don’t know our show the wrong impression about us, and about me.” Greenberg was not fired.

During a broadcast in San Antonio in 2014, another meteorologist, Mike Hernandez, said he misspoke when he called the holiday celebrating the civil rights leader “Martin Luther coon Day.” He apologized, as did his station, and Hernandez kept his job.

I wonder if this is something a linguist could help understand. Does the cadence of the words lead to this happening more often? Like, is this an easy mistake to make if you are talking fast and reading off a prompter. News anchors constantly flub words and name pronunciations, but if it isn’t a word associated with a slur, it is just a funny accident. I think the problem here is that he and the station probably took too long to apologize. I don’t know if they think people wouldn’t notice, but whatever, damage done.

I mean… he said it on television. Mistake or not, they can fire you for what you say on TV at a TV station.

502 in the Weinstein thread so:

Are you crazy? It’s not like he was a carpenter who can find another company to work for. What he was doing for a living is probably history.

I don’t know if you are tenured or not, but at Fresno State there have been two teachers (without tenure) who said some pretty terrible things in social media (one about Trump and about Mrs. Bush dying) and neither lost their job.

It’s live television, you can’t make mistakes like that. Better to let him go and hire someone that doesn’t make those mistakes. That’s capitism right? You fire the guy if he can’t do the job right.

And good for the next guy! He finally got his chance at the big time.

Maybe his employer looked at his Twitter, saw he follows a Who’s Who of shitstains, and decided they didn’t want to deal with the fallout. Or maybe when you follow Laura Ingraham, Ann Coulter, Hannity, James Woods, Tomi Lahren, Rick Santorum, etc, you accidentally say the shit you really mean sometimes.