Apology Judgement Thread of Humiliation

I can fully believe a situation where he asked multiple times to rehearse the skit, didn’t pick up (or didn’t care) that she felt extremely uncomfortable with it and went ahead thinking nothing was wrong. Which would mostly fall under 1 with a dash of 2.

This is also going to play well with the crowd who think that liberals just disrespect the armed forces.

Yeah, which is funny, because there’s not much more a civilian can do to support the troops besides perform in a USO show, especially in a war zone.

(Which also reminds me of that great two-part episode of “Louie” where the Louie character accidentally brings a duckling along on a USO tour. Now that’s also been tainted, of course…)

I agree, and that ‘what we know now’ is the key bit. If it’s just this, with this one woman, it’s a good apology and he should survive it. Tweeden has said she is not calling for him to resign or anything.

But we’ve seen that it’s usually not just one incident. If there are more, and if there are worse, this first statement will look like PR, not contrition. If we start seeing tweets from his female staffers…

The other thing that stinks about Franken’s actions, is that he’s probably the male Senator who is most supportive of preventing sexual assault. So, the difference between Franken and Moore (well, one of the many differences) is that Franken losing his Senate seat might be a net loss for Women’s Rights, where as Moore getting a Senate seat would be about the worst thing that could happen for Women’s Rights. (Well, second worst after electing a confessed predator to the White House).

Which is not to excuse Franken at all, of course. It just sucks, is all.

I’m going to give this apology a 10.

I was reading about the Franken thing and it turns out that the accuser is a regular on Hannity. I imagine there won’t be other accusers since Franken actually called to be investigated. I’d like to hear from the person that took the picture.

One thing that still strikes be about Japan is how courteous people are. They pick up their litter, they wait for walk signals, they queue up at rush hour. It’s like they care about their fellow countrymen.

It’s really immaterial whether she was on Hannity or not.
She could be a card carrying member of the KKK and it wouldn’t matter.

And yet there is a culture of groping that would make Moore giddy.

Yea, that picture is worth a thousand words.

The rudeness there is subtle. Once you recognize it for what it is, it’s not as infrequent as most assume.

Bumping this for Matt Lauer’s.

There are no words to express my sorrow and regret for the pain I have caused others by words and actions. To the people I have hurt, I am truly sorry. As I am writing this I realize the depth of the damage and disappointment I have left behind at home and at NBC. Some of what is being said about me is untrue or mischaracterized, but there is enough truth in these stories to make me feel embarrassed and ashamed. I regret that my shame is now shared by the people I cherish dearly,” Lauer said in a statement that was released by a personal publicist and formed the bulk of the top story on “Today” Thursday morning. “Repairing the damage will take a lot of time and soul searching and I’m committed to beginning that effort. It is now my full time job. The last two days have forced me to take a very hard look at my own troubling flaws. It’s been humbling. I am blessed to be surrounded by the people I love. I thank them for their patience and grace.

I wonder when, if ever, we’ll get an apology that doesn’t come after the allegations are already public.

The full text of Lauer’s apology:

As apologies go, it’s not terrible. He apologizes “to the people I have hurt” and doesn’t cheapen it with any excuses or mitigating statements. He acknowledges the damage he has done.

The second paragraph could be better. He pushes back a little by implying that “some” of the accusations are false. This might have been done for liability reasons, I guess. I think it would have been better to go with a more active-voice phrase like “Many of the things being said about me are true…” which would have had the same general effect but come off as contrite rather than defensive.

The last paragraph is fine. He’s basically telling everyone that his Redemption & Apology Tour will being in T-minus eighteen months… mark!

I guess I’d give it a 6.5. It hits all the right buttons but just doesn’t sound genuine at all.

Terrible apology. Now everyone gets to guess what’s not true or mischaracterized. The whole thing is pretty vague and full of attention on him, not his victims.

To be a little pedantic, those are normally called confessions.