Apology Judgement Thread of Humiliation

Yep, no evidence of illegality. Seems like as good an outcome for either as can be expected.

Do you know anything about FEHA?

Yep, and DFEH. And it looks like from the CA page that California offers statutory remedies and penalties for findings of employer fault in violation of those statutes.

I thought this was interesting.

What is SorryWatch?
SorryWatch takes apart apologies of all sorts. We praise the good ones (and discuss what makes them good) and fling metaphorical monkey poop at the bad ones (using savage words and holding them up to ridicule). All in a helpful spirit. We examine the research on apology, discuss important historical apologies – that’s some skywriting from Australia’s National Sorry Day in our banner – and take on apologies in pop culture. We welcome your apology-related pointers, questions, dilemmas and suggestions for shaming.

I think this response by Nolan Bushnell of GDC withdrawing his award was pretty classy.

Could stand to lose the last sentence.

It’s not really apologizing without reservation when you include the “if” reservation in the apology.

Yeah there is no “IF” about it. He started off well so middling at best.

Wait wait so if

If my personal actions or the actions of anyone who ever worked with me offended or caused pain to anyone at our companies, then I apologize without reservation.

… is bad because of the “if” clause, then this …

I apologize without reservation to anyone who was offended or caused pain by my personal actions or the actions of anyone who ever worked with me.

… is better?

The if turns it into an non-apology.

Ifpology. It makes it so the the weight is on the person who is offended and not on the offender. It puts the action on the one being offended instead of the person doing the offending.

I understand, but doesn’t this clause also make it a bit of a non-apology too?

I apologize without reservation to anyone who was offended or caused pain by my personal actions or the actions of anyone who ever worked with me.

i.e. only the offended get apologies, so the act of being offended is on them? Maybe other people weren’t offended by his actions, etc?

It’s a little better but he’s still shifting the action verb by saying was offended instead of I offended. He’s not owning the action.

It’s certainly not the worst apology, but it’s not great.

Kind of like the difference after an argument when you say.

“I am sorry your feelings were hurt” as opposed to “I am sorry I hurt your feelings.”.

The if statement removes responsibility entirely and the other one is kind of half there.

+like

Although if I read ‘I apologize without reservation to anyone hurt by my personal actions.’ that does read more like the better version. But it kind of mangles them together when the offended part is included.

Moving slightly beyond apologies to the first steps towards a “comeback”. Bill Maher had Kathy Griffin on last week where she talked about dealing with the collapse of her career after she posed with the fake decapitated Trump-head sometime last year. She didn’t quite apologize, though she expressed some regret. I’ve never been too fond of her comedy, but I felt she was treated unfairly and I’m glad she’s venturing back from exile.

Perhaps continuing as the first stop on a comeback trail, Maher had Billy Bush on this past week. While he came across as a frat-boy jackass in the Trump EW tape, I had the tiniest sliver of something resembling sympathy for the guy when he got fired – after all, he was hired to keep Trump (who was NBC’s biggest money-maker at the time) happy and fluff his ego. Bush’s basically pimping out his co-worker at the end of the tape more-or-less erased most of that mitigation, but still…

This segment with Bush on Maher’s show dried up that microscopic shard of sympathy and crushed it into powder. The guy accepts absolutely no blame for his part in the tape and seems honestly mystified why the other panel members are castigating him for it. There’s no word that I’m aware of for “self-centered scumbag with no sense of empathy,” but if there were, his picture should be right there. He needs to crawl back under a rock.

Trump.

Serious Question:
Why does, or did, anyone ever care about Kathy Griffin?

She is not, nor has she ever been, funny.

Yeah she calls herself D list

She’s quite big in the gay community, and her material is basically just catty anecdotes about various famous people, so she hits some of the general US Weekly magazine / starfuck demographic as well.

Why?
She’s not funny.

She’s not a D list celebrity. That’s just her schtick. People care about her for the same reason we care about other celebrities… she’s a celebrity.

See the rest of the answer. As far as I can tell, the intersection of very catty commentary and celebrities intersects significantly with the gay demographic. She talks about people they care about in ways they enjoy.

She’s Us Weekly, but with more jokes, and a little meaner. She’s not entirely unlike latter day Joan Rivers?

I think Kathy Griffin used to do actual comedy back in the day, but her brand isn’t really comedy anymore, it’s just catty celebrity gossip.