Apology Judgement Thread of Humiliation

She was on some show. I think the one with Brooke Shields? Hell, all I know is I never really found her funny, just annoying.

I thought she was funny enough in various stand up specials in the early '90s, enough so that I recognized her and chuckled when she showed up in Pulp Fiction, administering aid to the recently run-over Marcellus Wallace.

(My original answer was ā€œThe same answer to the question, 'When were Andy Duck and Joe Rogan ever funny: Newsradio.ā€ But of course Vicki Lewis was the redhead in Newsradio. Kathy Griffin was in Suddenly Susan, instead, and was not particularly funny there.)

I liked her as Beth on News Radio, but thatā€™s all iIve seen of her besides tabloid stuff.

Ummmm. that was Vicki Lewis, who is far more hotter and talented than Kathy Griffin.

Sorry for responding to a months-old post, but I missed this brouhaha the first time around. In this case there certainly is an IF to it, because thus far no women who actually worked at Atari Corp. have come forth condemning the work culture. In fact, Atari was apparently one of the most meritocratic companies to work at in the tech sector at the time.

ā€œItā€™s drive-by assassination,ā€ said Loni Reeder, who worked at Atari for two years and, later, co-founded a company with Bushnell. ā€œI think thereā€™s an element of telephone being played. Every day was not a wet t-shirt contest.ā€ Reeder added, ā€œThereā€™s a collective anger amongst us toward the individuals who made this a big deal.ā€

Two new apologies recentlyā€¦

First Stallone, no, no the other one.

https://twitter.com/Stallone/status/980461360516513796

Tony Robbins

Let me clearly say, I agree with the goals of the #MeToo movement and its founding message of ā€œempowerment through empathy,ā€ which makes it a beautiful force for good.

For 40 years Iā€™ve encouraged people to grow into the men and women they dream to be. I watch in awe as more and more women all over the world find their voice and stand up and speak out. All of our growth begins with learning. My own started with a childhood marked by abuse. I am humbled that others have looked to the path I have taken in the decades since as lessons in their own journey. But sometimes, the teacher has to become the student and it is clear that I still have much to learn.

Stalloneā€™s is okay although he should probably not use the word never because, well he didā€¦ but he is owning his actions.

Tony Robbins is actually pretty good too, especially the last part.

Both apologies came after some, shall we say, social pressure.

The Frank Stallone one was quite good IMO.

Tony Robbins has always seemed like kind of a ā€¦ relatively harmlessā€¦ self-help quack to me. I wasnā€™t familiar with his background particularly his early family life:

How is it a good apology for Stallone? He literally promoted violence, then he says he would never ever in a million billion years do that. Lying in his apology seems like it would invalidate the actual apology to me.

Eh, he called his own words ā€œirresponsibleā€ and disavowed them. He then went on to offer an unconditional apology.

Now you may conclude that he is not sincere based on other information, but the apology itself was pretty good.

Robbinsā€™ was less so. He toots his own horn, implies that his own background mitigates anything that heā€™s done, and manages to slip a bit of a promotion into the apology. Iā€™m not a fan of it.

Yeah this, thatā€™s what did it for me.

Well Tony kind of attacked MeToo and then turned around and offered support. What he is apologizing for us not as extreme as Stalloneā€™s so I gave him more leeway. Stallones was kind of scary, like violent anger fueled scary.

Mayyybeā€¦ the physical pushing of a woman and the incredible tone deafness (how can people telling their own stories possibly be wrong) made the Tony Robbins thing pretty bad to me.

No it was not a threat of violence but it was just so so tone deaf to the point of absurdity. Also ā€œmy client canā€™t hire hot chicks any moreā€? I mean JFC that is an unbelievable example to trot out.

That looks really bad, out of context. Now I donā€™t subscribe to this guysā€¦ spiel, but he has some sort of approach where that pushing mechanism is part of hisā€¦ training. Like she is meant to push back or something.

Yeah but the optics are super super bad, and he should be smarter than that. He does this rah-rah self help guru presenting stuff for a living, right?

A very good living.

Classic non-apology apology from Rosanne. She basically hits all the wrong notes.

ā€œGod, itā€™s really hard to say all of this,ā€ Barr startedā€¦ ā€œI didnā€™t mean what they think I meant, and thatā€™s whatā€™s so painful. But I have to face that this hurt people ā€“ and when you hurt people, even unwittingly, thereā€™s no excuse, so I donā€™t want to blabber off on excuses. I apologize to anyone who felt offended and thought that I meant something that I, in fact, did not mean to my own ignorance.ā€

So again, itā€™s someone elseā€™s fault for being offended, because she totally didnā€™t mean it.

Blech. She kind of went down the stereotypical ā€œIā€™m not a racistā€ checklist in that article:

• ā€œWhat I said sounded racist but it wasnā€™t because I didnā€™t mean it that way.ā€

• ā€œMy racist comment was directed at a minority, but it wasnā€™t racist because I didnā€™t know my target was a minority.ā€

• ā€œI canā€™t be racist because I have black relatives and Iā€™d never hurt them.ā€

I will cut her the absolute minimum amount of slack conceivable because it wasnā€™t (apparently) a prepared, rehearsed statementā€¦ but given that this was her first public ā€œappearanceā€ maybe she should have taken some time to make a prepared, rehearsed statement.

Itā€™s not as if this is the first time sheā€™s flung insults at people publicly. I donā€™t believe she didnā€™t know who here target was, and she couldnā€™t decide if she was really sorry or not for a few days because she kept retweeting garbage that supported her.

This is a common theme for people who say racist things. They think they can back out of it if they just say they didnā€™t really mean itā€¦ after outcry of course.

Apology accepted. Good luck with your new career on Twitter.

I bet in one of her interviews on Fox News/Infowars soon someone utters the phrase, ā€œyouā€™re the least racist person I knowā€.

Wellā€¦ possibly true.