Apple Airpods Sound OK

Oh, so you’re telling me V2 will be no better than V1 and identical to V1? OK then ;)

Actually I don’t mean that. I meant there is no risk to trying V1 and do not need to wait for any issues to settle down or be fixed in V2, assuming that is the reason you are waiting for the next version. If you don’t mind new technology and is daring to try the new iPhone (X) which is first gen, in its class, then I don’t see any reasons for waiting for V2 for the Air Pods.

Besides, they already came out with a new case for the Air Pods which allows it for wireless charging.

I don’t want true wireless earbuds, I have the Beats X, which are basically airpods connected by a cord so they can hang around your neck. Love the form factor, they sound fine, and zero anxiety about them falling out of my ears.

Bumping this thread as a sort of general AirPods thread.

Anyone been using one of the new wireless charging cases for their AirPods?

Does it “chirp” softly while charging? Mine does, it’s super weird. And…it might actually be draining the battery, not charging it?

I just got these a half hour ago, so it’s going to need more testing, but there’s definitely a faint, audible, chirping sound while they’re sitting on my Qi charger.

Edit: actually maybe it wasn’t charging? What’s the behavior of the light on the case supposed to be? Sometimes when I set the case on the charging pad the light doesn’t turn on at all, sometimes when I set the case on the pad the light glows orange for a few seconds and then turns off.

So far, it seems like the times when it glows briefly and then turns off, I don’t hear the noise. I still can’t tell if it’s actually charging, it hasn’t been on there long enough for the percentage to go up when I take it off and check, but the percentage definitely seemed to be dropping after a few minutes of the “chirping”, like maybe it’s trying and failing to charge and somehow that’s draining it.

Okay, clarifying the above. It seems like when I set my new AirPods down on my Qi charger, one of two things happens:

1. Orange light glows briefly then turns off. AirPod case charges.
  2. No light comes on. There’s a faint chirping sound. AirPod case doesn’t charge, and seems to actually be slowly depleting.

Anyone else see this behavior? I have a different model of Qi charger at home I can try as well. My guess is that with such a small surface on the AirPod case, it’s just more finicky about placement on the Qi pad than my iPhone. I can live with that.

I haven’t seen this problem no. But I’ve only tried with one charger, the Mophie 7.5 watt unit. It’s picky about placement with anything more or less, but has a rubberized surface that at least keeps stuff from slipping once you get it right.

Mine doesn’t chirp. I charge it on a Belkin pad I bought from Apple, which is forgiving about placement.

Here’s a video I took yesterday when I first noticed it, just for anyone curious what I’m talking about.

The charger is a NightPad Wireless Charger from ElevationLab.

Experimenting again today, I can still get it to happen occasionally, but I can’t find an exact spot where it works or doesn’t work every time. That may just be the imprecision of picking it up and putting it down without a ruler or something, but there’s not an obvious demarcation like only half of the pad works.

It never chirps if the light comes on and it chargers. It doesn’t always chirp if the light doesn’t come on. But if I fiddle with it a little bit, I can get it to sit there not charging, chirping, and presumably slowly draining my battery.

I didn’t spend much time with my mophie charger at home last night, not sure if I could replicate any or all of the behavior there.

If you have an apple store nearby, I’d go try it with their charging pads and see if it does the same thing – and have them replace it if it does.

If they add noise cancelling and it works, that would be a killer feature for sure.

That just seems odd given their open nature, and the benefits and drawbacks that entails. I guess if you can toggle it on and off, and it just magically works, that would be cool. But I like how I can hear everything with them on just fine - pick the right tool for the job.

Noise cancellation doesn’t work very well on voice, but it’s extremely effective at nearly eliminating background noise like fans, air conditioners, and the killer use case for me, airplane cabin noise.

I have a pair of those $300 bose noise cancellation headphones and exclusively use them on airplanes. They’re freaking amazing, like black magic.

I wouldn’t take a flight without mine. It really is magical.

Do they cancel out airplane smells also? :)

No, I eat indian food and burn incense for that.

Having flown multiple Air India and IndiGo flights internally in India? This does not work, at all.

Have you tried old tuna fish sandwiches?

I have those too, but I also have the Sony 1000XM-3. The Sony are the ones that fly with me. Someone finally out-NC’d Bose.

I second this. I was flying to Hartford, CT and while I was getting off of the plane a guy a couple of rows back asked me how I like the Sony headphones. I said they were great and he identified himself as the design engineer for the headphones. I like my Sony 1000XM-2’s so much that I will wait until the battery starts losing charge before I upgrade.