Apple April 20, 2021 Event: iPads and iMacs ahoy!

The tracking stuff is pretty cool with its distributed function. More interesting when it’s integrated into other stuff than a tile anyone could just rip off your backpack and toss in the bin though.

Hoping to see redesigned 14" and 16" MBPs and new iMacs.

There has been some speculation / “leaking” about touchID coming back on the power button. That would be so nice. My iPad only recognizes me through my reading glasses about half the time.

What’s the functional difference between the iPad, the Air and the Pro, other than I guess processor speed, weight, and screen size/resolution? My old Air is plugging along but the battery holds a charge for like an hour before it dies. I don’t use it as much as I used to, but it is still a very nice platform for Kindle-type stuff. The price differentials between the models are pretty extreme from top to bottom, though between the Pro and Air not so much.

The only reason I’m even thinking about replacing my old iPad is the prospect of getting one through Verizon, where I could fold the cost into the monthly wireless bill, assuming the additional line would not be too expensive.

I think the differences between the Pro and Air right now is the Pro is larger, has FaceID and has better speakers.

Air is better than base iPad all around: screen, processor, speakers, supports magic Keyboard, supports magnetic 2nd gen Pencil, better camera. Better storage options, too, unless you put almost nothing on iPads.

Right now the Air seems like the best option for the money by far, but that may change next week…

Pro also has the 120Hz screen. I believe the bezels are a bit tigher too, but no biggie.

Air is clearly better right now, because its SoC is 2 generations newer.

Cool, thanks for the info. I like the Air I have, though I haven’t used it as much over the past few years. It replaced an iPad 2 I think, which I still have lurking somewhere along with its odd connector/charger cables.

I may check out Verizon’s pricing and see if it makes sense, as a new Air with cell connections could be useful at work.

Basically it breaks down to:

iPad: most budget-conscious consumer
iPad Air: general consumers
iPad Pro: people who are looking for the most powerful thing and/or a laptop “replacement”

The Pro is always going to have better specs, but the Air is a perfectly fine, if not great, device for your average person. Very similar to the iPhone/iPhone Pro split these days.

If you want a tech-spec comparison, here ya go:

Can anyone with a 12.9" Pro speak to if it ever feels too big to use comfortably? That’s my only real concern(other than availability) with going for the 12.9".

I had one. I didn’t like it because it was too big to hold for long periods of time. Personally I would only get one again if its main use was to go in dock/Magic Keyboard with the occasional hand held use.

That said, I gave it to my sister’s family and they all seem to like it fine for handheld use.

I think the 12.9” is fine hand-held & have had the smaller sizes over the years too. For sure it can be a little unwieldy depending on how / why you want to use it. But all of the use cases make up for that IMO. The larger size is simply better for seeing more of a book or document or comic at a time & it’s essential if you are going to multitask or split-screen stuff much.

My two big use cases are for games and for drawing. I could see the size being both a positive and a negative on the drawing front.

If you put yourself in a position where you have to use it one-handed for more than a couple of minutes, then you’re probably going to struggle (unless you have super big hands).

I haven’t tried drawing for more than a couple of minutes, because I’m not an artist, but I think an hour-long sketching session would be pretty tough on your non-dominant hand if you were hoping to do it from the couch.

It really depends on your arm length and hand size whether the 12.9 is going to be comfortable to hold and carry around. I’m a fairly big guy, so it’s great for me.

Thanks all, I’m going to strongly consider a smaller size now.

The peripherals for these are nice, but oh my, expensive ain’t even it. Zowza.

Yeah, I thought about getting a larger iPad since my Pro basically lives attached to the Magic Keyboard now, but that is getting far too expensive to even consider.

Which got me wondering, do they release an updated Magic Keyboard with the new model?

Seems unlikely, but maybe. I’d assume the new iPad Pros will be compatible with previous keyboards though.

Yeah, the only way to stomach it is to think of the whole package as a different take on a $1500 laptop.

But then you get into the dilemma of whether an iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard is better than an M1 Air for less money? My iPad is used less now because of the MBA.

Depends on use cases of course, but I am not itching to get a new iPad.

I probably wont get one anyhow, as my old Air 2 does work, and it’s not like I take it anywhere really. I will probably have to spring for a (home) work machine replacement anyhow. I’ll keep my eyes open though for any deals that Verizon might have in any event.