I like my 12.9” pro so much I am a little concerned for my credibility as a PC game player and a Real Programmer (not really, of course.) I’m not using my laptop much, my desktop PC much, I’m playing iOS versions of games that are sitting in my Steam library, buying lots of apps, etc.
My wish list, which I like to think is independent of the fickle winds of Bendgate, Filegate, iOS13gate, and whatever else people are mad about:
- Multiple MFI controller support and games to support multiple local inputs. I think Apple would have an excellent portable console on their hands. The iOS developer community is big enough that at least a few great premium games would emerge.
- Better inter-op between apps. This is not the same as griping about the Files app. I am not one of these people who believes the iPad can’t replace a laptop until it runs a port of Windows or macOS. I do want to see much smoother passing of files and data between apps. For example, I would like be able to do things like edit a photo in Notes in-place using Photoshop or Affinity and have it remember the layers, etc. when I go to edit it again. I’d also like to use something like Siri Shortcuts to create pipelines for data, code, images, etc. A bit of this is already possible with text using Shortcuts. Essentially, I am proposing that there’s an iOS way to do complex work with files without having to manage the intermediary steps and products as “files” necessarily.
- A USB-C port on both sides of the Pro. C’mon, don’t punish me for not having power outlets on both sides of the couch. I’m spoiled by the flexible USB-C laptop charging.
- Some kind of multi-user. A $300 ipad can be a single-user device, but if a $1200 ipad is to replace the family laptop and approach family laptop prices, I need to be able to let family use their own email, Twitter, etc. without messing up my stuff.
- I really like the Smart Keyboard but the initial delay when I enter an app or Spotlight before my typing registers is getting old. If the input can’t register instantly, could it at least be buffered. I also would like to see better support, at least in stock apps, for using cmd+firstLetter to control modals, e.g. Cmd+d to confirm deleting a draft when I exit it without sending in Mail. I’d also like the cursor position to stay when I cmd+tab from an app and back to it (as I just did while writing this.)
- I think it should come with Apple-branded screen cleaner. :) The screen’s bright enough to hide most smudges between cleans, but it looks awful from an angle when the sun catches it.
Overall, an outstanding purchase that’s making me wonder how different computer work and play could be in a dozen years.