Apple Event 10/30/18 (new iPads, Mac bump)

Also, the new Air looks really nice, and makes me wonder why the hell the MacBook still exists.

What now attracts me to the 12.9" iPad Pro is that Apple maintained the same screen size, yet managed to reduce the device’s footprint to slightly smaller than an 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper.

Because it has quadcore CPUs.

Apple is practicing market segmentation there. Intel sells a quadcore 15W i5, Apple just decided not to use it to avoid cannibalizing the 13" MBP.

I meant the 12" MacBook; not the 13" MacBook Pro.

Oh. It’s much thinner and lighter. Ultimately though, it’s not what people want. What they want is the macbook air. Just, cheaper than what they announced today.

An i7 32 MB RAM, 2TB SSD Mini is running around $3300. Yikes. I could purchase a full 27 inch iMac with just 8GB RAM, add my own memory, same other specs, better graphics, and it would probably be close in price.

Yah,

So on the one hand I am happy with what they announced, and the products look fine. I could talk myself into an Air more than I could a new iPad Pro. I have a 2016 15" MBP, so it’s moot argument anyway.

On the other hand, I was expecting some clarity to the Mac lineup. I thought the Air would be closer to $1k, or the MacBook to drop to that price and the Air takes over the 13" non-TouchBar model. Instead, Apple still sells the non-Retina Air and the NTB Pro. I expected both of those models to go away today. The non-Touchbar Pro is just slightly faster and I think has the same shitty keyboard it has had all along.

I think if I was buying a new laptop today I’d get the 13" Touchbar Pro.

Yes, I was hoping the MBA would start at $999 with the minimum config you actually want (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD) coming in at $1199. But it’s nowhere near that-- you actually can’t configure it with over 256GB storage!

Apple is plum terrified of cannibalizing the MBP 13".

You can go to 1.5TB

Ok folks, need help. I can do the i3 quad 3.6 with 256 storage for 999 or 100 bucks more for 3.0 i5 w/ 256. If I’m mainly doing office-type stuff…word processor, mail, web stuff, etc. I get nothing extra from the i5, right?

I take it these are going to be susceptible to meltdown and Spectre…

Yep you’re right, I missed the BTO option. Still waaaay too expensive.

Remember when the macbook air was the best laptop you could buy, and everybody had one? When you would buy it for windows, too? It was priced equivalently to windows laptops at that time. That’s why. Not just quality, price.

The XPS13 9370, the latest model, starts at $849. The model you actually want, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD, starts at $1099. And that’s list price, before discounts, and Dell does give discounts.

@Misguided: The i5 will turbo boost much faster, but that won’t make any difference for office type work.

I’m not going to be playing games or editing video or anything of the sort on this machine.

Guess I’ll be going back to Windows for my next laptop then.

Forgot to mention that while the i3 is quad core, the i5 has six cores. Is that going to make a practical difference for having, say, mail, word processor, web browser, and 1-2 other things open at the same time?

Nope. You’ll never know the difference.

Ok, thank you. 100 bucks is no big deal, but if I’d just assume not spend it if it won’t benefit me.

Sonofa…there’s no thunderbolt 2 plug. There’s another 50 bucks. Yeesh

Apple hasn’t released a computer with a TB2 port since like 2015.

Haven’t bought one for myself in 6-7 years, so I didn’t care.

In for the 256 iPad 12.5 in space ghost. Er grey.