Apple Event 9/7/16 - iPhones and Pokemons!

Well, I wouldn’t be able to get anything new for a few months after it goes public anyway (I work for the carrier), so I’m just jumping on in. I’ve been very disappointed with my Galaxy S6 (I’ve had and like other Samsung phones) and most of my family is on the iphone so they’ve been pushing me to get one. I think they just want to track me!

Glad to hear about the camera! I’ll try and grab those apps asap.

My biggest worry is getting my contacts over. I know there are apps for that, but I think they run at like 60% success rate.

The new phone wouldn’t be out until Sept/Oct anyway.

Is yours the 128GB version?

I strongly recommend the app 1Blocker for ad blocking, Tweetbot if you use Twitter, 1Password if you’re not already using some other password manager, and Overcast or Castro for a podcast app with more features than the Apple one.

Ya, I grabbed the 128Gig version. Good upgrade over the 16Gig (or whatever) version for a few bucks a month.

I’ll grab those podcast apps. Don’t do the podcast thing too much, but a better app might change that.

If you use your gmail account for storing contacts, you’ll be all set. You can use your Google account for contacts, calendar, notes, etc on iOS. The more you avoid using iCloud, the easier it will be if you decide to switch back to Android.

Be prepared to be disappointed in the lack of customization and theming. The iPhone doesn’t have anything like Nova Launcher. You can install widgets but they’re on one screen only.

Settings → General → Accessibility → Reduce Motion. I always turn this on to get rid of pointless UI animations. Makes the phone feel faster.

What Quaro said. This is a bad time to buy Macs, not phones.

Eh, run for a month or so with the default setting, see what you think. Then switch it off so you can make a better decision about what you’re missing.

Oh my gosh I am with @Gordon_Bleu here, reduce animation is essential. It’s just so obnoxious with that on.

I leave it on and don’t even notice it. I tried turning it off for awhile and didn’t see a big difference. I am with @WhollySchmidt, leave it as is and see if you even notice. Certainly not a must do, only seems to bother certain people.

I think that turning off Motion made the phone rather awkward to use. The menu or the app just faded away but not in an elegant way. I can see why the animation gives an impression that the iPhone is slower but I think not having it made the phone feels weird.

You can get the best of both worlds if you jailbreak using hacks like NoSlowAnimations or Springtomize3, setting the animations to still run, but in less time. I found that doubled speed felt really snappy.

They sped up the animations in iOS10 and then again in 10.3, too. They used to be much, much slower. Still too slow for me, I use reduce motion on my non-jailbroken iOS devices.

So it came today before I had to leave for work. Looks and feels nice, but didn’t have time for screen protector or any sort of case so I feel really vulnerable playing with it at this point.

Before I even turned it on I checked and all my contacts and pics were in the Verizon cloud, though I didn’t ever check to have them there (knowingly anyway). So I figured at worst I could get them from there. But I downloaded the ‘move to ios’ apps on my old and new phones and followed the procedures.

…for about 2 hours til it stopped at 49% and said it had malfunctioned somehow.

So I get out of that crap and just setup the phone as a ‘new’ phone.

Click thru various setup steps until I get to the apple account one. I don’t think I have one so try and use my normal email address and it says it’s already in use. wtf?

So I think maybe I used it as the account for my old ipad to use facetime and try and recover the password, but when I do this it says my email address isn’t a valid apple account???!!!

Anyway, I play this juggling act a couple of times and continue to run in circles. Finally, I just create a new icloud email account and use it. So on with the setup process. Yay!

Get thru the siri setup easily and finally have the phone all thru the setup process. It’s nice, big but not chunky, and responds quickly. Except if I hold down the home button a split second too long Siri pops up.

Now it’s nice that there are only a few things pre-installed, but I can’t find any Verizon stuff. Like to login and pay my bills and at this point most importantly to get access to the cloud for all my contacts, etc.

Go to the app store and download various Verizon apps (including cloud) and once I have them installed, all my stuff is there! Didn’t even need to log in, it just recognized my number.

So at this point all it pretty good and I’m just seeing what it can do and tinkering with it to get it to my liking.

So far, even with the transfer issues, it gets a solid YGG!

Doubt you need one. Have never used one on an iPhone and have never had a scratch, even after a couple of drops. Maybe I am more careful than most?

Case is a must though IMO. The shell is much more fragile than the glass.

I use this on my phone. Same quality as more expensive cases. No screen protector, never have used one. YMMV.

Nice! And it’s semi-transparent it looks like. I mean, I got the red iphone so it needs to be seen!

I will echo at the sentiment that you don’t need a screen protector. The only time any of our iPhone screens have gotten messed up is when someone drops them face first on the floor with extreme prejudice.

Vast majority of females I know have iPhones with cracked screens. I think they play frisbee with their phones in concrete parking lots.

Based on the WWDC posters I’m predicting a 4k quadcopter.

I’m partial to the Apple leather case myself. Not cheap, but I love the feel of leather and how it gets worn after awhile.