Apple iPhone 12 Event - October 13, 2020

I have a ton of Alexa devices around my home, but I’m not sure I’ll ever get used to shouting at my appliances to get them to do something. I just got some smart bulbs for my living room and am not sure saying “Alexa, turn on the living room lights” is faster than just switching them on.

Whoah. A reasonable price. Didn’t expect that part. Still about 2 years too late.

I think this is who you’re looking for.

Still a year or maybe even two too early to get excited about 5G, but I guess better to have it than not at this point.

I do like the way he says “5 gee” with a hard G. He’s probably the guy who screwed up the pronounciation of GIF for everyone.

It’s kind of amazing that Apple took so long to release a Homepod mini. And it’s still just ridiculously overpriced compared to the echo dot and nest mini. It’s like they don’t care about the entire market segment.

Pssst, Verizon, I’d pay you $100/month get get 4 gigabit/sec internet in my home with a 2TB monthly cap. I don’t care about getting it on my phone with a tiny data cap.

Millimeter wave 5G is bullshit, ignore everything this schmuck is saying.

“Double the coverage” is meaningless, it means it’ll work on two blocks when standing outside with a line of sight to the tower instead of one.

I have to imagine it’s going to sound a lot better than an Echo Dot, though. I have a couple of rooms where I use stereo pairs of those and they’re… okay. Wouldn’t surprise me if the sound is more akin to Echo Studio.

I do love the flat side design. It feels more solid/sturdy than the curved edges.

No, the Echo Studio sounds amazing. It’s comparable to the full-size Homepod.

This thing is $99, it should sound comparable to the mid-range Nest Audio (former Google Home) and Echos that cost a comparable amount.

Me too. I thought the iPhone 5 was the best design, and this is similar.

Very disappointed they won’t have high refresh rate displays. 5G is bullshit, and that would have actually mattered.

Apparently in Apple’s rewritten design history the iPhone 4 never existed.

LOL Dolby Vision and HDR on a phone. Kids today.

I was scrolling on my 120Hz iPad Pro and on my 60Hz iPhone and I honestly don’t really notice a difference. There’s all the talk of how it’s smoother, but my eyes aren’t sensitive to it. So, no great loss for me personally.

Toughest smartphone glass is a selling point for my girlfriend and my ex, both of whom have a knack for cracking screens.

I definitely notice the smoother motion.

Also, it sucks that the notch size wasn’t reduced. Android phones transcended notches last year, they’re déclassé.

And finally, it sucks they they didn’t add touchID back. FaceID sucks in covid times.

Yeah, I like Face ID for normal operation, but power button Touch ID would be awesome as a secondary authentication method during these plague years.

Oh, gee, fastest chip ever in a smartphone. Yawn. Never feel like my current phone lags.

What are people doing on their phones that requires multi-gigabit internet speeds? You can watch a Netflix movie at 20 megabits/s, and who is downloading huge files to their phone?

I suppose with tethering it could matter, but mobile data caps make that an outlier by design.

“Ideal conditions” == standing <100 feet from the cell tower, direct line of sight, clear day, no obstructions.

“Less ideal conditions” == standing <500 feet from the cell tower, direct line of sight, clear day, no obstructions.

@Menzo: It doesn’t matter. Those fast speeds effectively do not exist. Millimeter wave 5G is bullshit.