Apple iPhone 13 event - September 14, 2021

Nope. Apple saved me some money at least. Oh well.

I am tempted to replace my aging OG iPad Pro with the new base iPad. I have gone from doing a lot with my iPad to it being a PDF reader.

The Apple Watch three ring closing animation always reminds me of the end of Velvet Buzzsaw. So that fitness+ video with the giant buzzing rings haunting houses all over town…pretty great.

I use my Apple Watch as a health monitor mostly, to check my heart rate. I do that and use it as a timer now and then and to check the time. I was hoping for some interesting health-related improvements but it doesn’t seem to have any. Maybe next year.

“The iPhone 13 has an all-new look… now the cameras are arranged diagonally.”

Did she really just say that?

Great to see they’ve learned that the pandemic and mask wearing warrants reintroducing touch ID as an alternative unlock.

Oh wait, they didn’t. They did introduce new leather magsafe card carriers. Amazing QoL improvement!

Yeah, I was on a call for the iPhone reveal but looked at the summary slide and saw nothing particularly interesting on there. We’ll see about iPhone Pro, but I don’t have any interest in camera improvements.

LOL iPhone 13 Pro features our “most pro design.”

Yeah, other than the new colors and narrower notch, it seems like all the improvements are in photos and video.

LOL again: “this is our most pro iPhone ever!”

The video improvements are pretty cool, I have to say. I’m mostly a photo guy though.

They did take care of this. You just need a Watch.

Wait…was there a narrower notch?? I thought it looked exactly the same!

Well, 2.5 hour battery life improvement and a 120 Hz screen for $1 more than I am currently paying every month for the 512 GB version. I’m in.

I’m probably going to upgrade from my 12 Pro Max to the 13 Pro Max. Smaller notch is nice, but I really want a 120Hz display that’s brighter in the sunlight. Apple will give me $790 for my old phone making it cost only $309, so like… screw it.

One point if you’re upgrading-- don’t buy the light brown leather case. You see all these posts online about how they patina and look lovely, but mine looks like a leprous monstrosity. It didn’t age at all, the outer lining just flaked off in spots exposing dark stuff underneath. It looks like shit.

I might go for the upgrade from 12 Pro to 13 Pro Max to see what it’s like living with a larger phone for a while. With trade in it’s a pretty easy call.

Yes the trade-in value is quite good this year.

Reserved the Sierra Blue 256gb Pro. Not thrilled with the color options, but I’ll take anything beside Space Grey at this point.

Sierra 512 Max

Silver pro max 512.

So I made the mistake of playing with a Z Fold 3 yesterday. My iPhone days may be numbered.

For a month or two until you switch to something else.