Apple: Leopard - Oct. 26

Apple hacked the default discount on most/all of their products for Educational pricing to 10%.

We were waiting to see the Leopard price to try and determine if this was a piecemeal plan or a new “policy” (obviously, hasn’t been announced as such, but the last price list we got made it clear).

If you have a campus with a campus store nearby (like the one I work in), they may get a better price. We’re probably selling it for $69 or so. At the least, below the 10% edu pricing Apple offers direct.

I’ve got class tomorrow. I’m going to stop by the store and check.

Resolution indepedent desktop?

For things like hooking it up to your 37"+ HDTV, having to squint to see the tiny little menu at the top, it matters. That’s one thing i like about the Ubuntu/Gnome UI, that it’s DPI is completely adjustable. I find the default size for most of the Apple UI too small to use comfortably at a nice distance (2’+ from the monitor).

I hope it’s still cheap for you. The Apple rep was kind of shocked that we didn’t use the gap between Apple Ed. pricing and what we paid for stuff to net bigger margins, so I guess we’re on the low end for end-user pricing as far as campus stores go.

I’m not optimistic. In the software department behind the counter they are selling Windows XP and Office 2003. We do have our own Apple Online Store, but for the $116 price.

Gizmodo has an expanded list of features.

resolution independence is disabled unless you install the dev tools. hope they enable it in a patch later. i guess iTunes and some other apps don’t work with it yet.

Ooh, I like. Having to deal with iPhoto or GIMP or switching to another machine for fairly minor changes like that was alway annoying.

Most of the major features aren’t really all that interesting to me, so I probably wouldn’t buy Leopard by itself. My iBook is showing its age though, so it’s probably time for a new system anyway.