Apple Refurbs

Nice, but I love that rainbow keyboard!

Looks like Apple shipped my macbook today. rubs hands together Guess I’ll head over to Amazon for a copy of Mac for Dummies.

My friend’s Macbook just had hard drive failure today, after owning it for all of 6 months. FYI, this was a new Macbook, not a refurb.

For the record, Hitachi is shit, and they should be put out of fucking business. And whomever at Apple made the decision to use non-Seagate or Western Digital drives should be dragged into the street and be beaten to death with a Newton.

If it’s a Macbook, not a Macbook Pro, then it doesn’t have an “updated graphics chip” per se. It’s still shit-tacular Intel Integrated Graphics. I mean it’s the Intel GMA X3100 instead of the 950, but they’re both equally useless for games.

Some old stuff will run slowly, some new stuff won’t run at all. So if you were hoping to install Windows via Boot Camp (works great!) and get your game on, you better be resigned to lowest-quality WoW settings and maybe nothing more strenuous than low settings Civ 4. :(

This is a little old by now but still useful:

http://the.taoofmac.com/space/HOWTO/Switch%20To%20The%20Mac

I don’t plan on playing anything more than, say, Avernum very occasionally…if at all. This is mostly to learn the OS because I’m running into more Macs in my computer tech business.

Nice, thanks!

My refurbished Macbook arrived a few days ago, and I have to say that I’m completely satisfied with having gone that route compared to buying a completely new unit. The $300 I saved allowed me to upgrade the ram by 4x and the hard drive by 3x with very little speed lost to the .2GHz slower processor.

The unit was just as shiny as any new Apple and the only real difference is that it comes in a drab carboard box versus the spiffy Mac packaging the new units come in. Still, not really a big difference after it’s unpacked.

This is just FWIW, and FYI, because i found it interesting, but i was able to play the Dawn of War Soulstorm Demo on a Mac Mini, at 1680 x 1050, 16bit color. It was noticably slower than a real gaming computer, but otherwise it worked as well as could be hoped.

Haha! That’s my problem, too. I’m such a packaging whore and Apple packaging is always so sexy.

Congrats Derek!