Apple removes Fortnite from the App store, Epic responds with a lawsuit

On the plus side, money that doesn’t go to Apple has a non-zero chance of actually getting taxed, so anything that denies them commerce is a net societal good.

Thanks, Comrade Sweeney!

It’s a win for gamers because the ecosystem is healthier for developers. That means more developers and more money spent making great games. Same argument for the Epic Store.

Obviously if Epic loses it’s a loss for gamers, because Fortnite isn’t in either appstore, yes.

Yep there is a lack of games and money on iOS currently. We need more.

I agree, we do need more high quality games. Not just in the Apple app store but everywhere.

We do need more high quality games. The 30% is not the problem there. There is big money in games, 30% or not.

And if developers could make 30% more money from their games, what would be the result of that?

• More niche games? For sure. You’d need to sell less copies to turn a profit.
  • Better games? I think so. You invest more time and money because the reward is greater.
  • Less predatory monetization? Well I don’t believe in man’s benevolent nature, but maybe? At least doing it good guy style would be less of a loss.
  • Higher paid developers with less crunch time? It’s possible, but again people suck.

iOS game problem is users don’t want to pay for games. Games have to be free and then sell BS crap to make money. Which people are willing to do. If they didn’t pay the 30% they would just be selling more outfits and pay to win elements.

iOS gaming became horrible years ago, because of the type of games that make money. I am all for Zach Gage and numerous regular developers making more money, I just don’t think this solves anything as far as iOS gaming sucking.

1- Maybe. It’s a valid point.
2- I’m not sure. So many games and apps are just rushed out the door anyway. I mean look at day-one patches for almost every game out there.
3- This is where I agree with Lee. I have a friend who is all “tip your wait staff, shop local, etc.” and she refuses as a hard line to EVER pay for an app. That 99c race to the bottom is what killed pricing more than Apple’s 30% cut.
4- I may stop laughing at that one sometime this year :)

As a consumer, I like the App Store, especially the Mac App Store. I don’t have to track license codes, where I downloaded an app, etc. However, I think Apple’s 30% cut is high, especially on everything. Sadly, Apple is seeing services as the main growth for the company. So we can kiss Job’s statement about how “we aren’t going to look to make money on this” right out the window.

Aww look, a knife fight between two of my least favorite companies. I hope they both lose.

It wouldn’t be the first time.

But as gamer, you WIN!

If it breaks apple’s walled garden, absolutely.

Epic just filed against Google as well.

And Samsung has removed it??

Steam also takes 30%. Do we see any of your points being valid for developers that don’t release on Steam? No.

Every point is valid there, and applies to the Epic store’s lower cut too.

I had the same reaction.

Epic has already won. Every tech site on the internet (especially Apple focused ones) are all Epic/Fortnite. If anyone who reads tech sites didn’t know about Fortnite, they do now.

If Apple can’t be bothered to use apostrophes correctly, they deserve to lose.

I’d be surprised if they even teach it in school anymore.

Orwell was far from perfect, but his 2 biggest books should be required reading for all kids, especially in these times.

So what’s going on with Fortnite in the eshop? Did Epic introduce direct payments there too and get banned? Or is Nintendo less greedy than Apple and Google?