Apple slows down your phone

I distinctly recall my iPad4 being downright snappy when I got it. It was often unusable when I got replaced it last year. I attributed this to iOS upgrades, but maybe it was the battery. Who knows.

One thing’s for sure, Apple needs to fully document this sort of thing and expose some way for users to find out what’s going on with their very expensive devices.

Older - it’s a 3rd or 4th gen, I think. And yeah, it’s the new verions of IOS, because as we now know, Apple slows down old devices! ;D

I had an iPad 3, and it was kinda a dog from the beginning. The retina screen was great, but it was prone to running hot even on the OS that it came with. The first retina iPad just didn’t really have the oomph on the back end and I found it degraded quickly. I fought through it for a long time until I got my iPad Pro/

iOS will let you know when it’s time to replace the battery but I think the warning only appears under the battery settings.

Well I have an iPhone 6+ and ios 11 screwed my battery. All of a sudden it wasn’t lasting anywhere near as long. Only recently has it got better with each update of ios. Almost feels like they screw older phones to encourage us to buy the newer ones and then magically 6 months later my phone fixed again. Wonders never cease.

iOS 11 was and remains a train wreck. Here’s hoping they slow down the pace of “innovation” and that iOS 12 is stable and performant.

I have the 6s but I’m still on 10.3.3. Am still leery of upgrading.

My wife has a 6 plus, has upgraded to 11, and says the battery drains faster.

So maybe a new battery for her is the fix…

And the lawsuits have begun!

Looks like I’m going to stick with 10.3.3 for a long time.

I hate to say this, but I think they put that code in 10.2.1.

Mainly due to losing paid apps and the bad reports about 11. Right now I’m quite happy with the performance of my 7+. So far.

What’s so train-wreck-y about it? Doesn’t seem any much more so to me than iOS 7, 8, 9, 10, etc?

To me, it drains my batteries much faster and there are little UI bugs all over the place, in particular during screen rotation, app switching, etc. safari, in particular, seems to drain my battery (which I had officially replaced last June) extremely fast.

I never upgrade Apple products past their OEM OS, unless forced. It’s been a rule of thumb for me for years. Both Mac OS and iOS products have noticable degredations in performance unless you’re upgrading to the latest OS and your hardware is also the most recent model.

To me the real issue is right in your experience: if you’d known that changing the battery would have restored your full initial performance, wouldn’t you have done that instead of buying a new iPad? Without the knowledge that’s now public, the choice was taken away from you.

I personally would have purchased a new device rather than spending $80 to replace the battery on an old one, but I would have liked to have that option available to me, definitely.

What’s amazing to me is that my iPhone 6 was working just fine, with no battery problems whatsoever. Then the new iPhone comes out, and a new iOS, and suddenly I have horrible “battery issues” that are requiring a drastic slowdown.

It’s like the horrible battery issues happened exactly in concert with the new phone coming out. I didn’t realize a new phone being released could magically damage the battery on my old phone.

Funny that.

It’s also awfully convenient that when you walk in to look at iPhone N and you compare it side by side to your current iPhone N-1 or iPhone N-2, naturally the new hotness is much more responsive as a result of this opaque fuckery. Yeah, marketing has nothing to do with it.

Trump is trying to shut down Mueller, and you guys are worried about Apple protecting your batteries from harm!

Por que no los dos?