Apple slows down your phone

As I’ve mentioned several times, I have run into battery issues with the .0 release of iOS several times. The reset all settings seems to fix it, and if not, setting up as a new phone can also do the trick. Before you do that, I’d do an encrypted iTunes backup to your computer first in case there is local app data you need that you forgot about.

A bunch of us have given you advice to try and fix the problem, but it sounds like you just want to get an android phone, so maybe that is the best solution for you.

My first day with the X, which I documented in some thread here, my battery was going down quickly, wouldn’t charge past 80%, and got extremely warm in use. It seemed to be working fine otherwise though. I had to reset it and start from scratch, but it worked. I just had a corrupt iOS install.

Then sometime in the first couple of weeks, twice it drained the battery to nothing overnight. The first time I just thought it was fluke and I hadn’t paid attention to the battery level before I went to bed. After charging it back up it went back down very quickly and again died overnight. Next day I looked at battery use over the last 24 hours. The Sonos app, which I hadn’t used other than to make sure it was working on my new phone, had used something like 50% of the battery. Just force closed and reopened it, and it hasn’t happened again.

A couple of times a year my Apple watch will use a full charge in a day. I just reset it, and it goes back to normal battery usage afterwards.

Not saying in this case these things will work, just examples of what can go wrong. There are lots of people complaining about battery life on iOS 11 on the various Apple forums (even with Xs), but not as drastic as SlyFrog’s, at least not that I have seen.

The $29 battery replacement is effective immediately, so I’d bring it to an Apple store and see about getting it replaced.

Yeah man, just pay $29 to fix what their borked software broke. Oh, and smile while you’re doing it because you’re getting a bargain now they got caught out!

I have an iphone 6. It’s over 3 years old. I’ll take 'em up on a cheap battery replacement so I can get another year or more out of this phone. The opportunity cost to replace the battery seems far better than paying full price for any other phone on the market, apple or otherwise.

How good are they about keeping the phone water resistant?

I reset the settings. We’ll see how that works. If that doesn’t work, I’ll probably spring for a new battery (taking it in to the Apple Store).

I really don’t want to spend a ton of time running down a bunch of settings and power use functions. It’s not why I purchased a convenience device (and an Apple one in particular).

Good luck. These things are a pain in the ass to deal with.

Is it possible to do this? I would love to take my iPad back to iOS 10.

If the problem persists, at a minimum, you should look under Battery in the settings to see if any particular app is drawing an inordinate amount of power.

No, Apple stopped signing iOS 10 back in october. You cannot downgrade, unless you were jailbroken and saved your blobs before.

Do you have to leave the phone with the service center/apple store over night or is this something they can do in a matter of hours? I wonder if I need to backup and wipe off my iOS before sending it to the service center for replacement battery.

It took about an hour to have the battery on my 6 replaced in-store a year ago.

Thanks. We don’t have an Apple Store in Malaysia and I hope the Authorized Service Center will behave the same. I’d hate to go without a phone for a few days. Let me check with them after the New Year.

@SlyFrog How did you make out with this?

I reset the settings, which has now somehow screwed up things with my iPad so that texts don’t go to the iPad anymore. (I have done all the troubleshooting I can for that, including resetting the send/receive accounts on both devices.) But it has not helped with the laggy screens and functionality or rapid battery drain.

I see no apps or anything that is listed as being an unusual drain. Nothing that should be causing it.

I think that I will try the $30 battery replacement, and if that does not work, I’ll get an Android when my frustration finally gets enough of me.

The setting for the Messages is a little obscure: It’s in messages setting on iPhone, but under Text Forwarding. It will show all the devices connected to your iCloud account (I think that is how it does it).

That seems to have fixed that part. Thank you!

I did the reset thing and my iPhone 6 Plus seems to run much smoothly. I’ll wait till year end to change the battery. By then, the phone should last me another year before I move to the X Plus.

You basically get $25 per iPhone.