Apple SmartWatch

Actually now that I see it on this woman’s small wrist it doesn’t actually look too bad. Unfortunately my wrists are probably about the same size as that woman’s. Damn my womanly wrists!
http://youtu.be/vFi-QpuZfXs
Still it’s definitely a watch that I would only wear for sports or very casual situations.

That’s a really attractive watch. Pity that Google thinks “OK Google” is a pleasant thing to say to get your phone’s (or watch’s, in this case) attention – UGH.

This is the only mock-up I’ve seen that I would actually wear.

I wouldn’t mind the ability to customize its “wake up” command, and it doesn’t seem like that should be that hard, but “Okay Google” seems pretty reasonable. I think it’s better than the “Hi Galaxy” that Samsung had set as default on the GS3.

That’s pretty badass.

Is the screen supposed to be on the bottom of your wrist? It would be pretty awkward to use otherwise.

It’s a bracelet, so I guess it could go under your wrist or on top. Get skanky and wear it on your ankle!

I would kinda prefer the screen being on the bottom, for privacy sake.

And, yeah, if the iWatch looks anything like that, I’m in for one.

Dude, what those on your PC!

I would kinda prefer the screen being on the bottom, for privacy sake.

Presumably it would be fairly easy to customise so it only displayed when you want it to, either through accelerometers/gyros or some kind of lock.

Re. “OK Google” vs “Hi Galaxy” we need to invent a new word for devices which are listening to us much like “hello” was invented to serve as the greeting for fancy new telephones (and without such invention people would be yelling “Ahoy, ahoy!” into their bluetooth headsets even to this day).

I wonder how difficult it would be to just let us customise the activation phrase? It would have the advantage of not having to interpret our individual accents? “Hei Garlarxy” or “Okai Goggle”.

Maybe. Barring a new non-anthropomorphizing keyword (sort of Blade Runner style – just give the commands, don’t talk to it like an entity), agents and other things that you interact with verbally should be given a name (an individual name – not a corporate or brand name). OK Google is just an asinine thing to be saying to your technology, and one of the more tone-deaf things to come out of Mountain View. Yes, I agree that “Hi Galaxy” is even worse, but that’s like describing one piece of shit as more olfactorily offensive than another. Imagine the feeling of douchbaggery if everyone with an iPhone was saying “Hi iPhone”. Do you get bonus points for caressing it while you speak? UGH!

What are you wearing iPhone?

Huff, huff…

This is the second generation of smartwatches. They aren’t very good yet. Much like google glass, you need to think ahead 5 years, when they’ll weigh next to nothing, be much thinner, have batteries lasting a week, and cost $29.99 on amazon.

Also, the official apple computer hail corresponding to “OK Google” is “Hey Siri”.

“Hey Siri, you’re so fine, you’re so fine you blow my mind, hey Siri! Hey Siri!”

“Nabla”

“Nabla nabla nabla!”

I like “ahoy”. What are the odds of anyone other than time traveling sea men accidentally activating that?

Someone really sadistic could make it bedebedebede.

It beggars belief that actual grown-ups made that.

I will get a smartwatch when it can project a touch-sensitive holographic screen into my (and only my) field of vision, and when it knows to do that because I turn my head to look at it. Until that time, MANUAL TYPEWRITERS!

I have deep mental scars from that series, and I just have to share them.

Anyway, I have a Garmin GPS that uses a voice prompt to wake up, and they use the very awkward “Voice Command” as the default. They had the good sense to allow you to set that to anything you like. Just navigate to the appropriate settings page, record your own prompt, and you’re done.

I’m using “GPS” right now. Not original, but I’ll remember it.