Apple TV+: Mythic Quest. Always Sunny + Videogames

Man, I just loved episode 5. I think waiting to present it until after four episodes of messy expansion development was a good idea.

Is the bottle episode a meta commentary on the show itself or am I overthinking it?

(Early episodes are weak, then comes bottle where they “sell out”, then show gets “better”)

Episode 2 is worse than the first. It gets better?

If someone in senior management pulled what Brad pulled, he’d be immediately fired and sued. The idea that they’d welcome him back is insane.

Yes it gets better. Somewhere around 3-5

The show does not take place in the real world and does not portray real world game development.

That’s only one of my problems with it so far. The acting is terribad. Everyone is trying so damn hard. The characters are super one-note, and I haven’t seen any evidence of depth there.

Agreed.

The show sounds like Apple+ trying to make their own ‘awkward comedy series’ version of HBO’s Silicon Valley.

The show creators are the team from It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia. They had awkward comedy down pat long before Silicon Valley.

Wow was the DQD episode good!

Awesome! Thanks sooo much for the heads up and the precise timing, just finished episode 3 (& just happened to read your comment now) so perfect timing as well!

It really was, so if you are thinking about giving up on the series then skip to #5 and watch that. It’s completely standalone.

I just finished the series and loved it, though it had a rocky start. It’s also exceptionally crude and hamfisted in places but I found the inevitability of the character’s actions for some reason endearing rather than annoying. I will probably be in the minority there, but Ashly Burch! Actor and Writer! There are solid gold nuggets littered throughout the episodes that I strongly suspect are hers.

The blood ocean ending had me rolling. Absolutely crude and yet still hilarious.

What was the spoiler (obviously spoiler text it)? I remember them showing Arthur and a scene but they had what I am pretty sure was dubbed voices and not the original lines. What was left from a visual stand point would stretch my definition of a spoiler to the breaking point, but maybe I missed the dialog or other call out?

IIRC they explicitely showed the scene where Arthur’s horse dies at the end of the game and it featured the voices from the game.

Maybe without context it might not be super huge spoiler, but am still glad I played it beforehand.

Ah, right, I forgot about that. Out of context and with dubbed in voices like that I would have never connected the two.

Just finished watching Episode 5. You guys are so right, that was really terrific.

The series had a few misses in the joke department but overall my wife and I both really enjoyed it. There was some PTSD flashbacks though. I worked on World of Warcraft from 2001 - 2014. My wife and I started dating in 2003 so she got to ride the rollercoaster with me.

New season of Mythic Quest May 22. (Edit new special show, not season.)

Awesome!
Really didn’t expect much from this show in the beginning, but like most I fully on board after the flash back episode.

Perfect show for a quarantine setup.

Love how they’re leaning into the quarantine, since it fits in quite well into the “world” of the show. It’ll be interesting to see if this is a one time thing or if they’ve made a bunch of episodes.

I am curious as to how they filmed the thing. Is this like the various late night shows where they just shipped off a bunch of cameras to the actors and told them to film themselves? It’s been interesting seeing the different late night hosts, Colbert clearly has high quality cameras and sound, although it’s all run by his family. Whereas some of the other hosts seem to have lower-quality equipment — doesn’t really affect the enjoyability of the jokes, but it has been interesting seeing.