Apple TV question

Hmmm. Running dd-wrt firmware on the router, looking for that IGMP Proxy and can’t find it.

OK, testing. switched from WEP to WPA Personal. Back to “Turn on Home Sharing” under Computers. (BTW - I saw this fix, switching to WEP, on an Apple support thread linked in here.)

There’s setting for SPI Firewall. Turning that off, see if that helps. Nope.

OK - saw this online:

Got an Apple TV 2 and updated it to 5.0 and lost your AirPlay and Home Sharing?

Make sure that your wireless router is using:

WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]
and not
WPA-PSK [TKIP] or
WPA2-PSK [AES]

So - I thought Eureka! Switched from WPA Personal - AES to WPA Personal - TPIK.

Didn’t work.

BTW - I assume it isn’t a ports issue, etc. since the ONLY change required to make it work is to switch the security from WPA to WEP. That has to be a clue, right?

You’re supposed to set it up so it will accept both WPA and WPA2. At least, that’s what those instructions imply.

Yeah, tried that. Tried every security profile on my router: WPA Personal, WPA Enterprise, WPA2 version, TKIP, AES, TKIP+AES, etc. Nothing works - except WEP. Put it in WEP, works fine. But WEP is pretty worthless.

WPA2 Personal usually is compatible. 2 requires AES. It’s a combination of the router and the Apple device.

WPA2 Personal usually is compatible. 2 requires AES. It’s a combination of the router and the Apple device.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2808065?start=165&tstart=0

Yeah, tried that. Tried every security profile on my router: WPA Personal, WPA Enterprise, WPA2 version, TKIP, AES, TKIP+AES, etc. Nothing works - except WEP. Put it in WEP, works fine. But WEP is pretty worthless.

Tried that - WPA2 Personal plus AES (in fact, it’s what it is set to now.) Still doesn’t work. Argh

If you SSH into your wrt54g, the process to look for is igmprt (to see if it’s running an igmp proxy).

Did you disable QoS? On your PC it should be listed as QoS packet scheduler under properties for your wifi connection.

QoS is disabled. How do you SSH into the router? And does it make sense that igmprt would block it in WPA but not WEP?

The other data point: the Airplay icon is there and works in iTunes on the PC even when the PC doesn’t show up under Computer.

Also, don’t see an IGMP proxy option, but I did see a “Filter Multicast” option - will turning that off do the same thing?

Sounds like it. Since IGMP has to do with multicast directly. If “filtering” is on, it may be selectively blocking. DD-WRT–with great power, comes responsibility.

What doesn’t make sense, though - why would that have an effect with WPA and WPA2, and not WEP? The fact that it works perfectly with one protocol and not the others seems key, but I’m not sure how those could impact other settings.

I’m tempted to buy another router just to see if that makes an effect (excuse to upgrade routers. ;) )

I unchecked an option that was “filter multicast.” I telnetted into the router and typed igmprt and it came up with info on an igmp proxy service.

So, since I’m pretty anal and analytical, what is different between WEP and WPA that would allow the Apple TV to be able to connect to the internet with either, use Airplay with either, but only use Home Share with my computer with WEP?

Not sure–I just rely on not using WEP because that’s insecure as hell and nothing needs it anymore–the last thing on my network being an old NDS. I recall having all sorts of problems with an old v1 AirPort Express router (the one that lets you act as an audio AirPlay receiver and USB printer-sharer) dealing with WEP and WPA too.

Just a WAG, but perhaps there are some more-restrictive router features in that firmware that are only operational (or only default to ON) under WPA.

Given the particular symptoms (airplay works, remote share doesn’t), I’ve found references to both IGMP and QoS causing those issues. But yeah, maybe it’s a good excuse to upgrade.

Thanks. QoS is not turned on in any way, and I can’t find any entry at all for IGMP on any of the menus. I did find an option that was “filter multicast” and unchecked it, but that is as close to anything related to IGMP I can find.

OK, tomorrow a new ASUS RT-N66U shows up and we’ll see if it is something specific to the router.

I have an RT-N56U and love it. Just note my link above that Apple’s replacing ATVs that are potentially defective wrt wifi.