Apple Unleashed Event Oct 2021

It’s anecdotal, but I haven’t seen nearly the same battery degradation with my Pros that I did with my first gen AirPods, and I’ve owned them for two years as of this month. They’ve been my trusty companion through the entirety of COVID remote work and boredom, so we’ll used… Feels like they figured something out. So hopefully the next ones will work well for you.

Latest rumor on Reddit is a notch on the new MBP. If true, that would end my time with Apple, hehe.

Not possible. It wouldn’t work, menus can cover the center of the screen on MacOS.

For your reading pleasure:

So an edge to edge screen with no bezel? Because it makes no sense otherwise.

Thirdly, the return of the kings: NEW MagSafe, HDMI, and SD card slot.

Uh huh.

I feel like we’d already know if there was going to be a notch because app developers would have to design around it. Without that warning, it’s going to be a mess for early adopters.

Wouldn’t details about it have to live in MacOS as well? Seems like someone would have found references to it if so.

I mean I wouldn’t put it past them, but this seems fake to me.

Well the source is Chinese sites that don’t seem credit worthy enough for even MacRumors to copy. Pretty sure this is 100% BS.

Edit: of course they are covering it now. You would think MR would be following these Chinese sites themselves so they don’t have to go to Reddit for rumors. (I do not like that site, if it wasn’t obvious.)

It’s a ridiculous rumor that cannot be true, as again, MacOS often has stuff in the center top of the screen.

Also the rumor says no FaceID and that’s the only reason to have a notch in the first place on a phone-- the bezels are too small to fit the sensors and IR emitters. On the iPad Pro which has wider (although by no means wide) bezels, no notch is necessary to offer FaceID.

I feel the most anticipation for this event that I have felt for any Apple event in several years (if not longer). I also have a $500 credit towards any Apple Silicon Mac sitting in my Apple account (thanks to the transition program dev kit)

Let’s see how creative they get. Or at least competent… that credit expires end of year :-)

The notch rumor now has blurry pics, hehe.

That makes it more believable to me, it seems like when there are pictures, they are usually real. I still don’t get it though, the FaceID sensor isn’t that big, it seems like they could fit it in if they can fit a camera (but no one seems to agree with me on that).

If there is a notch, I would have thought people would have found something in the Monterey betas about it. Seems like this would be difficult for them to cover up.

Don’t really care either way though, I am not buying one.

The notch thing has to be fake. Seriously. That would be an epic throw, like tripping on the 99 yard line level. It’s barely justifiable on a phone where every mm of bezel matters.

So MacRumors had some info that the screen resolution is 74 pixels taller than a 16:10 ratio, indicating that there is extra screen real estate for the notch area. I might be ok with this as it doesn’t affect the normal screen area and is just “bonus”.

It’ll still take up the center of the top of the screen, and MacOS uses that space for menus and such. I can’t imagine how it’d work. Make the menubar twice as tall? Still think it’s a hoax.

I can see the areas to the side of the notch being just extra space for clocks, status info and so on, with a black background - the mouse pointer wouldn’t be allowed up there. The rest of the screen would be as normal, the menu bar below the notch.

If the notch is real then it’ll be exactly as useful and welcome as the Touch Bar was, because it’s going to be a surprise to devs. This means you won’t see any significant support for it for months or years.

Or ever, as the touch bar was widely hated and will be discontinued.

Apple should add touchscreens to their laptops. Those are occasionally actually useful, surprisingly enough.

All I want is a 30” M powered imac. Everything else is secondary to this.

Definitely, especially as they can run iOS apps now.

Indeed, they would be particularly useful for touch apps. And it isn’t terribly awkward touching a laptop’s screen; “gorilla arm” is only a concern with desktop monitors.