Apple WWDC 2017 - Leaks, Keynote and Other Info

That’s funny, because I have always skipped a gen. iPad 2, iPad 4, air 2, and soon the pro 10.5

That is a winning strategy, apparently, because you avoided the 3 (underpowered retina), 5 (underpowered 64-bit), and 7 (kinda meh “pro” featureset).

iPad 8 is the shit though. Heartily recommended.

Yeah, the 10.5 looks great.

I’m not sure the new 12.9 is a big enough improvement over my older 12.9. I’ll probably hold out a few revs until they get 3D touch on the big screen.

Until you posted this on Twitter I had no idea I followed you. (@crumpy)

There tends to be something of a tick-tock cycle, in that every other upgrade is typically a modest hardware bump without major feature changes.

My wife has an iPad 3 and I have an Air 2. Ironically, the iPad 3 is still hanging in there while the Air 2 has serious battery issues. I’m going to upgrade to the new 10.5" soon and I look forward to it yay.

Picked up a 27" 2017 iMac today. Got the the new magic keyboard with numpad as well. Haven’t fired it up yet since the migration will take awhile, but looking forward to that big Retina display. My current iMac was the last nonRetina model. Also need to buy another 8gigs of ram ASAP.

Only thing I am not thrilled with is the fusion drive instead of SSD, but I can’t rationalize the ridiculous price they want for one. Think it was +$600 for an SSD, that’s just insane, even for Apple.

Place was packed, so never got around to looking at the new iPad Pro. Didn’t want to be tempted either.

Yeah, my Air 2 also has some battery wonkiness happening.

Try doing a 'Reset all settings" It won’t wipe any data but your preferences and wifi info. Usually when iOS battery gets wonky that fixes it.

Or take it to the Genius Bar for battery symptoms as well.

I do know screen replacement is expensive as all hell on Air 2 or newer due to the laminated screens, $379 last time I checked. They don’t actually even replace the screen, likely due to incredible difficulty of repair, they just give you a new (or like new refurb) one.

No idea what the deal is with battery replacement though, hopefully cheaper!

I got a Magic Mouse 2 with my iMac because I already have the newest trackpad. I haven’t used a mouse with a Mac in years. I had forgotten just how bad MacOS’s mouse drivers were. At the fastest speed it’s still too slow with small movements. This is the one area where I prefer Windows, a mouse works so much better out of the box in Windows.

Do most MacOS users use the default mouse drivers, or some other option? Or is it just a matter of getting used to it?

And the metal rails the mouse uses, makes it feel like the mouse is going across sandpaper.

On the other hand, the 27" Retina display is amazing. I have no doubt it probably has the image retention problems I have read about on older iMacs, but I am not going to go out of my way to look for it.

Never had that issue. I suspect it has nothing to do with how far you are moving, but how fast. I can move all the way across two screens without picking up my wrist. I think back in the day, acceleration was optional, but it’s built in now. Maybe there’s a third-party program that lets you disable that.

As I kind of suspected, it’s just me being picky. The thing is I love using a trackpad on a Mac, but they aren’t so great for gaming.

I think there is software that you can use on a Mac to make it more PC like as well. Just can’t remember the name.

Not sure if this would help, but you might check out USB Overdrive. I used to use an old version back when usb support on Mac was terrible for 3rd party devices and it was awesome. It’s still being developed. Not sure if it will address your specific need, but worth a look.

I’ll check it out, thanks.

I could always hook up my Logitech PC mouse to it as well. I know they have drivers.

I was the same way. Years ago I used an app called Speedmouse from some Japanese developer that got rid of the acceleration curve. I could just never get used to it.

I am also a USB Overdrive user.

The acceleration curve IS different on Macs. Once you get used to it, however, it can be hard to go back to the more twitch / inexact feeling windows way…

Diego

Really? I guess it’s because I grew up on Windows mostly, but that seems impossible to be. I guess I should force myself to use it for a week. I use trackpad gestures so much that It would be difficult going mouse only though.

Do you MacOS mouse guys use a Magic Mouse or some other brand? Initial use of the MM2 I don’t like the feel of it or how much resistance it gives. (Probably need a mouse pad.)

I’ve used all kinds of mice for years, ranging from Microsoft and Logitech to more esoteric stuff. The last time I used an Apple mouse, they only had one button (which was precisely why I made the change). Never saw the need to go back. I use bunches of Apple stuff, but mice have never been their strong suit (outside of innovation in the use of them in the OS in the early days).