Apple WWDC 2017 - Leaks, Keynote and Other Info

I use the magic mouse, but confess that’s as much out of laziness and not bothering to research alternatives as anything else. The MM definitely has a different feel to it than most. I’m honestly not super picky about any of that stuff, so don’t know how much stock it’s worth putting in my perspective there. :)

I have no problem with the baseline acceleration curve, but I do find it very annoying when pointer movement seems to lag when dragging files around on the desktop or to the dock/attaching to email. It feels really weird.

I use an MX Master with my Macbook, when I’m not using the trackpad.

I picked up a MacBook Pro 15 inch 512 SSD 2.9 i7 with the Radeon 560 graphics. I want to see if I can live with it as a main work computer. I love the Thinkpad P50 but it is just too heavy to carry around so it remains my Windows machine at work. The T460s is a bit too small and its battery life isn’t great. So I faced the decision of investing in a T470p or rolling the dice on the new MBP.

My first impressions are that (1) it is heavy, but not too heavy to transport; (2) all of that thinness makes it feel much smaller than it actually is; (3) I’ve actually used the touch bar a couple of times already and I can see the utility (did not before); (4) really like the fingerprint sensor on the touch bar; (5) big track pad works great and does not interfere with typing; (6) keyboard just is not as good as the old MBP 2015 keyboard.

I may grow to like the keyboard, but that is my main disappointment at this point. Screen is gorgeous. I am surprised by how much I like the track pad and the touch bar. I don’t like the “clicking” of the keyboard keys and the minimal travel when they are pressed.

Yeah, I use a logitech G502 on my mac. Works fine, but I don’t use Logitech’s mouse acceleration, I stick with the system.

I have the 2016 model of that 15" tMBP. It’s definitely not a light ultraportable, but you get a lot of power for that 4 pounds. The keyboard is an abomination and I hate it, but most of the time I have a mechanical keyboard plugged in so it’s no biggie. Since I use an external keyboard the touchbar is basically useless.

The fingerprint sensor is nice, but I had that for a year in windows anyway.

I’ve had mine for a year. Some of the keys get mushy and hard to press. It’s not persistent, so it’s probably some kind of interference, like pet hair under the switch. The down-arrow is particularly bad on my machine, about a 40% success rate at actually hitting it. I never had the sticking key problem before, and the machine’s locked-downness prevents me from doing any kind of air-blasting to fix it.

I also just noticed that they charge $20 for the power extension cord now and don’t include one in the box.Hopefully I can use one of my old extension cords.

Of course you can, at the power plug side.

Yup, it works.

I was fine with the keyboard on my 1st gen 12" MacBook, but I would never want to do a lot of typing with it. I could never quite adjust to the shallow key travel.

I picked up the same model on Thursday. It’s been a long time since I’ve had a Mac but am really enjoying it. The handoff features between my phone and the Mac. Tried a couple games and XCOM 2 actually runs quite well.

I’m thinking of picking up an iMac soon to replace my old PC. How easy it is to upgrade the memory or is this something that’s solder on, and so I’m better off with paying the Apple tax. And is the Radeon 560 for modern 3D Hanim such as Witcher 3 ( more familiar with nVidia myself)?

The 27" iMac has a RAM access door; you’re safe buying your own memory for that. I’d get the 580 if possible. The smaller iMac has the soldered RAM and no upgradeability.

Hmm… I was actually contemplating the 21.5" but soldered memory vs having a RAM access door will tilt me towards the 27". I didn’t know of the RAM access door as I didn’t even think of checking out the 27" page in Apple website. So, thanks for that. Let me go do some research!

None of the current 21.5" models have upgradeable ram.

In general on these you want to buy the most possible up front since you can never change. That means the highest video and biggest SSD you can afford.

That said, they DO last a long time. I had a 5 year old iMac 27" that i only eventually replaced to get my hands on the 5k retina iMac.

Diego

Also the new iMac pro 27" does not have user-upgradable RAM. Not that you can buy one yet.

So add RAM to the list of things you’d better buy all up front :-)

You might also look at whether some/all can be used as external monitors. When I bought my daughter’s iMac several years back, I was told only the 27" could do that.

At least with thunderbolt 3 external GPU is becoming a viable thing (high fives @stusser)

None of them can do that now, unfortunately.