Apple WWDC 2017 - Leaks, Keynote and Other Info

I tend to prefer WD myself but I’m sure that will be fine too.

And I misspoke earlier, both of them are ~5-6k RPM drives, not 7200RPM.

By the way, this guide is decent for navigating the sea of USB-C stuff.

The CharJenPro adapter works great and sits flush against (either) side of the macbook. Used it for USB and micro-SD without a hitch.

I solved my USB-C problem by purchasing an iMac. I figured if I was going to spend all that money on the LG5K monitor, dongles, etc. that it was getting close to half the cost of a brand new iMac. It has USB ports and TB3 ports, plus an optical out headphone jack (which it seems the new MBPs do not anymore), so I am happy.

The new MBP 15inch works great. I look at the smaller trackpads on the older MBPs and wonder how I ever was able to maneuver on such a small surface. The keyboard is still an adjustment, but I am growing more accustomed to its clickity-ness. Battery-life is OK, not great. I can work a good part of the day without plugging in, but it is not an all day cord-free experience. Here the Lenovo P50 wins hands down, but the MBP weighs much less and is a much more portable shape.

I noticed that iOS 11 public beta has been out for a few days. Is anyone trying it out? SInce my 10.5 ipad isn’t critical to anything that I do, I’m going to move over to 11 see how it works, bugs and all.

I used to install public betas right away. I have learned from my past foolishness and now wait until at least the second, and ideally the third public beta. I find that the battery life problems and incompatibility issues with early public betas is just not worth the few new features I want to try out immediately.

I am on the developer beta. I like so far. As always, don’t run it on a production device like I am… I love the new Files app.

It’s really excellent. Mostly little niggles except for battery life, which sucks at this point.

Diego

I haven’t ran a beta in a couple of years, because isn’t the only way to revert back to the main release version is to do a complete reinstall? I really really want Files though…

Do it for the multitasking, but DONT’T do it if Files is your main driver. That app is VERY bare bones right now,

Picked up an iPad Pro 10.5 from the Apple Store and spent over an hour getting my old iPad cellular number switched to the new iPad. The setup cellular services link got me to where I could enter my email and password for AT&T, but simply would not work. I decided to ask AT&T tech support via chat and the tech person kept asking me for a sim card that I knew didn’t exist because the iPad has an embedded Apple sim card. The tech had to check with Apple to discover that the CSN number can be used to transfer the phone number (not sure how).

I saw the number vanish from my old iPad, but we did a couple of power offs and restarts before I just decided to click on the setup cellular data button. Magically the cellular data turned on. I might be wrong, but this shouldn’t be this difficult.

I had the same experience with the last two embedded SIM iPads. The ATT people don’t know what the fuck they are doing & will even claim that using the device in their network is not possible.

You CAN make it work, but you have to get all the numbers from the device about page or box up front and then feed it to the ATT drone as though that was your SIM. if the drone won’t do it, ask to speak to another who will.

If you deactivate the old device as well, watch out for ATT fucking that up too. I Started with once active device on one account and somehow ended up with three devices on two accounts and two sets of activation charges. Morons.

Diego

What iPad are you moving away from? I have an Air 2, which still seems perfect. Curious how people feel the new Pro compares.

Funny you should ask this because I moved from a 12.9 and a 9.7 to the 10.5. This is sort of a Goldilocks situation. 12.9 (older version) has USB 3.0 transfer speeds, fast processor, etc. but was just too big for me. 9.7 Pro has great size and great screen, but slow USB 2.0. And both were stuck at 256 GB storage. 10.5 is perfect for me in every way. Great size, great screen, 512 GB storage, and USB 3.0 transfer speeds. Won’t be getting another iPad for a long, long time.

It depends on what you do with it. If you watch a lot of videos the four speaker system on the iPad Pro’s makes a pretty significant difference over the Air two-speaker system, mostly because iPad Pro speakers play on both left and right side of the screen in landscape mode, whereas the Air plays from just one side of the screen in landscape.

Why do you need that much storage on an iPad? Do you store a ton of media or something? I can imagine a pro photographer needing the storage and USB3 speeds, but that’s about it.

I had the original Pro and liked the four speakers, but over all felt it was too heavy for most uses. It was great for school work though. I am mostly curious about performance and the screen (are the latest screen updates over the Air 2 worth it?). My iPad is an all around entertainment item now, I don’t do any work on it, just consume media, chat, etc.

Swapped from an iPad Air 1. The new 10.5 is night and day better.

But wasn’t the Air 2 night and day better than an Air 1? I don’t remember what is what now. I guess I should go down to the store and look at them.

Don’t have the new pro yet, but people are raving about the new screen. Smoother scrolling, less glare, etc. And if by “media” you mean movies, you should have better battery life if you do a lot of that because of the ability of the screen to match the refresh rate of the content. I think the extra speakers will be nice for playing games or watching those.