Apple WWDC 2017 - Leaks, Keynote and Other Info

The extra speakers are great for watching stuff. Nexflix + iPad + cooking is my jam, and the 10.5’s extr speakers keep the sound clear when I’ve got a sauté pan going full tilt.

Yeah, according to Wikipedia the Air1 has 1GB main memory and the Air2 has 2GB memory. I recall the move from 1GB to 2GB making a huge difference, particularly on Safari reloads when switching between tabs, with 1GB Safari always had to reload, with 2GB it usually stores the other tabs in cache and instantly displays them. New iPad Pro has 4GB, but honestly while more is better, at least for my use, 2GB was fine 1GB was kind of sucky.

I’m not sure about performance, nothing I do with it (web surfing, watching movies, playing music, and light editing with Microsoft Office) really taxes it much. I just started using Office, but I would imagine the 9.7" Pro would do just as well.

An awful lot of people do seem to love the new iPad Pro Screen, but mostly I don’t notice the 120Hz at all. I also didn’t much notice the screen size increase, although I wouldn’t be surprised if going back to 9.7" made me feel a bit cramped.

[I mostly upgraded from a Pro 9.7" to Pro 10.5" because I have a friend I’m giving my Pro 9.7" to, and I really wanted to upgrade her from my old Air hand-me-down to a Pro hand-me-down so she would have nicer speakers, since she watches lots of movies and TV on it.]

Definitely agree. Pro speakers are much, much better.

Yup. Movies, music, photos, etc.

Rather than replace my obsoleted poopad4 with an ipad5, I picked up a refurb ipad air2 32GB circa September 2016 direct from apple for $339. Apple direct refurbs are largely indistinguishable from new, with brand new batteries and cases and full warranties.

The air2 has a dramatically superior antireflective screen with no airgap, is 20% thinner, a smidge slower, and comes in at essentially the same price. The performance tradeoff is definitely worth that laminated antireflective screen. My time spent flexing my bowels and dilating my anus to thrust feces forth to the waiting sea below in a frothy torrent deserves only the finest swiping and tapping experience.

So, here is a question I can’t seem to find the answer to: I have the 29w adapter and the short Apple USB-C to Lightning cable. Fast charging on my 12.9" for the win.

I want to use a USB-C extension cable since it’s too short. Do I still get fast charging with an extension cable?

I suggest extending at the outlet side, rather than the USB side. That will definitely work.

The Air 2 is just a tad too slow to comfortably edit RAW photos, I discovered. I’m totally impressed with Affinity Photo, though. Closest thing to Photoshop-level editing on the iPad.

Yah. I think I still have a couple of those power leads floating around.They take up a ton of room though.

How is it at reading RSS feeds while crafting delicate yet ultimately ephemeral underwater sculptures from last night’s dinner?

I’m not really convinced the laminated screen is worth that much effort, but you are correct the perf is basically the same. Personally I would go with the 120hz insane performing pro because, statistically speaking, you and everyone you love will be dead forever … but that’s just me.

Technically, the ipad will die too. Possibly before everyone you love, God willing.

The only thing I love is my iPad Pro.

I bought a new 10.5" iPad Pro and gave my Air2 to my wife. My knee jerk reaction was that they are similar, but after using it for a few days, I now think they’re quite different and I’m very impressed with the Pro. There’s simply no waiting or latency. I doodle a lot and the Pencil is phenomenal on the Pro. The quality of color on the screen also is pretty amazing. All in all, I’m thrilled with the purchase. I did not buy a keyboard cover but may do so after iOS 11 releases.

I love my iPad Pro keyboard cover. I had really bad luck with my previous Bluetooth keyboards for my old iPads, I had the batteries corrode in one of them killing it and another one the on/off switch failed. The Apple Smart Keyboard works great, no batteries, no linking required, no on/off – the magnets snap it in place and you’re good to go. That said, it is embarrassingly expensive.

There’s no embarrassment in splurging on keyboards. Me and many other mechanical keyboards enthusiasts approve.

This is what is holding me back on the keyboard purchase. Well this and the fact that I have a surface pro 3 that I stopped using mainly because of the keyboard.

Well yeah, but mechanical keyboards are cool.

Fuck yes they are, he types on his third.

Yeah, the ipad pro keyboard case has that bump, it’s functional but godawful ugly.

Compared to something like this. Drooool.

That appears to have quite a few bumps.