Apple WWDC 2017 - Leaks, Keynote and Other Info

As it turns out, Metal is the only option in WoW (there is no OpenGL option anymore).

Most “Mac” versions of games nowadays use translator engines like Cider to just run the Windows version emulated under Mac OS. So your best bet is to boot into Windows and just run the native Windows versions if performance is an issue on your system. Then you lose the translation overhead.

Yeah most mac ports are terrible for that reason, although I wouldn’t be too surprised if Blizzard games were the exception and had good ports.

But regardless, there’s no no way whatever AMD card is in the iMac (570 maybe?) can compete with a 1080. Even AMD’s unreleased 300 watt behemoth of a card can barely do it.

Yes, Blizzard games are natively coded.

I am at a loss. I have the maxed out graphics card (580 I think) and the maxed out CPU with 40GB of RAM. Problem is graphics texture, not overall performance. You can play WoW in OSX on the new iMac, but the graphics are noticeably worse than the Windows version. Oh well, one less distraction while I work.

Well even the 580 is drastically slower than the 1080. Retail price that’s like $200 vs $500. But it sounds like it’s not really running at 5k, it should be clear, but with a slower frame rate if it was.

It’s the retina transformation thing.

See if you can set the desktop resolution to full and then try it.

Here’s a cool ARKit demo…

Holy shit thats incredible!

Not useful like a lot of the other ARkit demos, but cool as hell.

Just set the game to 5K and it looks great. Was running at 91 FPS in Dalaran, so will see how things go during a raid tonight.

That’s good to hear. Now I am wondering how many games support 5K? Hmm. Diablo 3 maybe?

The new Apple headquarters has a giant open office floor for the programmers. I know there are people that genuinely thrive in such an office but ugh that sounds like hell.

Tons of relatively recent games will support 5k, just go windowed fullscreen.

I just got an iPad Pro and the pen. Those videos of AR stuff pushed me over the edge. Its so nice but at the same time I have this large degree of self loathing now because I bought another Apple product.

I bought one a month ago and have liked it more and more with each passing day. Astropad is awesome if you have desktop apps that can use a tablet. Linea is a great sketching app the truly was made for the Apple Pencil. Pixaki (free 14 day trial with Pixaki Viewer) is an awesome pixel art app. Folioscope is a blast for quick animations. Procreate is a great Photoshop standin. Adobe Sketch, Aldus Sketchbook, Concepts, Adobe Draw, Adobe Capture – all worth checking out for art. Game wise, I think Poly Bridge has Apple Pencil support. I’ve been on iOS 11 Beta which is pretty great but has some quirks and instability.

Unlike my previous iPads, this one goes with me everywhere. I’m loving it.

I attempted to raid in World of Warcraft at 5K with very mixed results. The problem was not with graphics (everything was very smooth with around 70 FPS consistently). The keyboard and the mouse were the problems. My bluetooth keyboard simply stopped allowing me to move my character. Same with my Razer Naga mouse. Another weird thing that happened is that the audio would cut from Discord and the game, go through the internal iMac speakers and then cut back to my headphones. I had to fire up my Windows PC and finish the raid on it.

I was playing at full screen. Not sure if that is the issue, but is disappointing that the game runs fine at 5K except for these glitches.

Even Peter Jackson is experimenting with Augmented Reality #arkit #creative pic.twitter.com/jpwKY1LLBI

— VR/AR Association (@thevrara) July 30, 2017

Anyone running iOS 11 on iPhone 6? How is the performance?

I’m running it on a 6 Plus. Other than finding Siri a bit sluggish, it seems perfectly fine.