Apple WWDC 2017 - Leaks, Keynote and Other Info

You have a real problem, man.

I had a 12.9 iPad Pro but thought it was just a really, really large phone. With iOS 11, I might have sold it too quickly, hehe. On the other hand, the 9.7 iPad Pro, apple pencil, and Sena leather case is my go to note taker and media consumer (books, TV, etc.). I really like the form factor. I’ll probably upgrade to the 10.5 some day just for the 512 GB storage, but not soon.

Overall I am very happy with this event. I finally gave up and traded in my S8+ for a new iPhone 7+. Purchased a refurbished black SS Apple Watch 2 (my wife inherited my old Apple Watch 2). The Apple Watch 2/iPhone combo was just too compelling and won the day. My Thinkpad P50/T460p combo is probably uneasy this evening because I’m due a desktop upgrade at work in a few months. I’m still not thrilled with the MacBook Pro design, but I might take a closer look…

I might even be able to play games (for me that means World of Warcraft) on the new iMacs at high resolution.

No, the iPad Pro has a microphone problem. :)

My problem that has me use the iPad Pro 12.9 is that, while I have reached the age where I should be using glasses to read, I find that increasing the size of my screens allows me to avoid having to use those infernal things. The Pro 12.9 is perfect for magazines and comics.

I’ve placed an order for a 10.5/256GB ipad pro. I feel like I’ve waited long enough been the ipad air 1 and now to finally upgrade. It’s a device I use for at least an hour a day, and it seems like they’ve improved it in every possible way I could imagine.

The ONLY thing I’m bummed about is all these luxe monoprice lightning cables I have.

Edit: for some reason I thought it was usb-c but it is lightning still.

I have a couple of Sonos systems, which are great, but I find I use the Echo more often lately just because it’s easier. An Echo that works with the Apple ecosystem and has a better speaker is exactly what I have wanted since I got the Echo.

Yeah, I got a free Echo Dot with my Orbi router setup and I keep waiting on Sonos to release their integration. Hoping it works well and I can just pick up a couple of cheap Dots for the other 2 Sonos speakers in our house. Voice control of music is awesome, and Sonos is going to have to integrate that quickly to survive with the HomePod around.

All the iPad Pros better fucking have 4GB ram this time around!

That A10X is gonna be monstrous. Even at nearly 2 years old, the A9X was already about 3x faster than anything Android, sorry, Qualcomm ever shipped…

You know you can voice control Sonos with Alexa using Yonomi, right? It’s far from perfect, but it works.

I thought the Wingnut AR presentation was pretty damned impressive.

Ready to switch out my iPad mini 2 for a new iPad but I’m still deciding between the different sizes. I know I no longer want a mini since my iPhone plus exists, so it’s between the 10.5 and big bertha. Leaning towards the 10.5 because I feel like at 12.whatever I might as well be using my laptop.

I would definitely not go for the 12.9" iPad unless you’ve held it in hand and tried it. I like it, but it takes some adaptation. It’s far more of a leap than the iPhone “plus” sizes…

Yes, the 10" models are far easier to hold in one hand. Even sitting on a couch where you can prop it up on a pillow or whatever, the 10" is a superior device.

My wife has the 12.9. It’s YUUUUGE. I wouldn’t use one while commuting, it feels like it weighs significantly more, and you can’t really use it one handed [important when your other hand is stabilizing you on the subway.]

I love my iPad. I use it all the time, maybe more than PCs. And I gave the big one a chance, but it’s way too big for casual media consumption and other non-pro uses. Maybe if you were really trying to get a laptop replacement for work stuff it’d be cool, but otherwise, the 10.5" is the way to go.

I thought the iOS 11 iPad stuff was pretty impressive. Enough so that I ordered a 10.5" iPad Pro plus keyboard that I’ll be putting the beta OS on next week.

The 9.7" iPad Pro I’m typing this on will become my wife’s & she’ll hopefully find it useful with iOS 11 in fall.

Diego

So, I can’t tell if Apple is brain dead, or someone on the iOS dev team has pictures of someone senior with a goat.

There ia an issue with iOS 10 and the “add to iCloud Drive” extension where it expands every folder and subfolder on your iCloud Drive.

Every, Single. #@*#Y$ing. Folder.

To get around this, I’d name a folder @something and it would go to the top of the list, at least. They fixed in iOS 11. Now, not only does it expand every single folder on iCloud Drive, it buries the @somethng folders in some weird, random spot in the list. It is completely unusable.

Who’s that silver haired exec who’s always in mom jeans at these things?

Craig Federighi, VP of software engineering. He’s kind of famous in the Apple crowd since he is pretty good at the demonstrations. Hair Force One is his nickname.

He made a “negative” and lasting impression to me when he first did a demo on a Mac. He was nervous as hell and was sweating (it showed in his arm pit) and when he tried to swipe his sweaty hands on the Magic Trackpad, it didn’t work. He tried a few times and there was an awkward pause in the audience.

At that time, I thought to myself that surely Steve Jobs going to chop his head off.

I think he must have improved a lot if he’s now pretty good at demo.