Apple WWDC 2017 - Leaks, Keynote and Other Info

It’s not about lifting hammers, it’s about holding one out with the edge of your palm (you don’t grip an ipad in your fist) for an hour + while standing, and being able to manipulate it at the same time to do something as simple as flip to the next page of the book you’re reading one handed. I can do that with the smaller ipad, the larger not so much.

This comes from experience, because my wife has an ipad pro 1 (12.9 inch) that I’ve borrowed on a number of occasions…

Yeah one handed operation with the big 12.9" mutha is pretty tough. Very legit criticism. It’s also kinda heavy due to its size, I wish they could reduce the weight of it by 25%.

It is fantastic for comics, though, because it can display a full size dual-page landscape comic panel perfectly with no rotation… and it has the same resolution as an iPad for typical single pages in portrait (centered on the screen). So you can swipe along and read happily without jarring “OH JESUS ROTATION TIME” when those dual-page landscape comic pages appear, which they seem to do all the time in mainstream comics.

Yeah, just chiming in to say I also love my 12.9 iPad, but you should definitely consider for yourself how you plan to use one because different sizes have different strengths.

Yea I had a 9.7" and downgraded to a 7.9" because I felt almost all my use cases were superior except for writing/photo manipulation and honestly that why I have desktops and laptops.

Yeah, I never use a tablet while standing. I wouldn’t suggest a 12.9 for use on the subway. :) But for reading around the house, it’s awesome. And with a keyboard and the Jump Remote Desktop/Citrix Mouse combo, it can double as a super-light laptop replacement when traveling. (Remoting in to a real computer so I can use the mouse, since Apple doesn’t think I should want to use a mouse when writing.)

I like the idea of an external GPU by Apple. Did they say whether I could put any GPU card or it’s gonna be Apple’s branded one? That GPU will extend my 2012 MacBook Pro life - that 8 Core machine can finally play some bad ass games, maybe.

I don’t think that model has thunderbolt 3.

Awww crap, Thunderbolt 3 only?!

Wait… you know of a way to use an external mouse when remoting into your workstation on your iPad? How many chickens must I sacrifice to learn this forbidden knowledge? Chrome Remote Desktop and Microsoft RD don’t really cut it.

It’s the best comic book reading device I have ever owned, including actual comic books.

It is a bit too heavy! But I’d still make the tradeoff because I love reading with it so much.

It will probably work with TB2, just slower. This works in Windows. Haven’t seen that proven though.

I’m going to be getting the 10.5. I actually thought about the larger one briefly, since the vast , majority of my usage is on a stand these days, but it would be too big for the stand on my treadmill, which is a deal breaker.

Supposedly the new ProMotion feature on the iPad Pro is amazing, and unlike anything you’ve seen before. 120Hz for scrolling or 24 fps for movies, there’s never been a touchscreen that does anything like it. It’s something that you need to see in person to appreciate, so apparently isn’t receiving the kudos it deserves. I just watched the live Talk Show interview with Craig Frederighi and Phil Shiller and the part where Craig explains the way in which Apple is differentiating itself on screen technology is amazing.

If iOS11 doesn’t support my elderly iPad4, I’ll probably get an iPad5 for my TT (toilet tablet). Already have a 9.7" Pro for CT (couch tablet).

I almost pulled the trigger on a massive Apple iMac and MacBook upgrade, but I did not. Turns out that I really like Lenovo’s Thinkpads. They are sorta the anti-Apple with their massive square designs, bulk, and easy user access to everything. So my Xenon P50 and i7 T460s can rest easy. Maybe not the T460s because the battery life (or lack thereof) is a pain, but 6 hours is OK in most cases.

Just wish there was a Lenovo P41 14-inch version of the P51.

Apple iOS will continue to manage my mobile and tablet needs.

Always surprised when people mention hardware as why they made a choice between Apple vs everything else. I have strong preferences on one OS and have very different software uses on my Mac’s vs my PC’s. Even if Apple did something I really hated with hardware, I wouldn’t want to move fully to Windows just because of the software.

I think that is the difference. I am equally happy with either OS, so my hardware experience is important. If anything, I slightly lean toward Windows because I will always have a gaming computer that I throw together. However, on the mobile side I strongly favor iOS over most versions of Android, etc. So I put up with the brick that is the iPhone 7+ because of the OS.

I understand where you are coming from.

I slightly prefer MacOS for the base experience, and very strongly prefer Apple’s take on privacy and respecting user preferences. Sadly, I play games.

On the phone side, Android just blows iOS away for the base experience, but iOS apps are dramatically superior.

Tablet-wise, there are no android tablets that compete with the $329 iPad in hardware, apps, or price/performance. Google basically gave up on tablets. Now it’s a first-world use for sure, but nothing beats a tablet for hanging out on the couch or taking a shit.

Just get the 2017 iPad it is an insane deal for $329. I would say it might be the best deal per performance dollar of any product Apple has ever released. And of course it takes a giant steaming shit on anything Qualcomm is shipping, performance wise, since it is based on iPhone 6s hardware.

It’s very similar to the air 2, with a modest speed bump from 8x to 9 and a couple of small sacrifices (the 2017 is a wee bit thicker and heavier and the screen isn’t laminated), but at a great, great price. If that can’t revive the tablet market, I don’t know what can.