Apple WWDC 2021

I do use Apple Reminders, because I don’t really need to access them on my desktop. My entire reminders use-case is “Hey Siri remind me to cancel the humble bundle on July 17th”.

it particularly gauls me that I can’t use Alexa to add items to my Reminders shopping lists, at least without doing a bunch of work with ITTT.

I set that up a couple years ago and it never worked right. Didn’t bother me because again, I have a very limited use for reminders.

So, the main reason they put the M1 in iPad was the chips fit and it was easier. Nothing in iPad OS to use that extra horsepower.

Yeah, beyond fixing multitasking and adding iPhone iOS 14 features there’s not much new there.

The app privacy report stuff is really cool, showing every domain an app touches. This is important because iOS is locked-down and it’s difficult to figure out what apps are doing without sniffing packets otherwise.

On-device speech recognition is huge for privacy.

I think it’s a decent update, and assuming it runs on my OG 12.9, stuff I will use.

None of is faster on an M1.

Well everything is faster on an M1 because it’s a faster chip, but certainly these features don’t really exploit that extra power in any way. I guess maybe you’re more likely to multitask if you can wrap your mind around how the hell to do it.

Yeah, I meant to say noticeably faster.

The privacy stuff is pretty neat.

Hide my email makes sense, they basically already do it for sign-in with Apple.

Private relay is interesting, looks like a private proxy for Safari only.

The hide my email stuff makes me think of using my iCloud mail account more.

No need really, you can just have it all go to your registered iTunes email, whereever that is. That’s how sign-in with Apple works anyway.

The Verge liveblog is talking about how this is REALLY not a developer-focused keynote. This is 100% consumer stuff. They’re completely right.

A long while ago, I went to Gmail for everything. I don’t really have a problem with Gmail, but switching back to my iCloud account has been on my mind.

I am still on a Series 0 watch. I think this year’s model, with the new watchOS might finally get me to upgrade.

Like I say every year, they just need to add blood glucose monitoring and they will sell 100 million watches in the US alone. Easier said than done, though.

That’s the rumor, but we won’t hear about it until they intro a new Watch. It wouldn’t come at WWDC.

Series 6 was introduced September 15, 2020, so we’ve got another couple months.

Insurance companies would buy them by the pallet. Very difficult technical challenge, though-- nobody has managed to do it without piercing the skin.

Wow, Siri on 3rd party devices-- but you need a homepod mini in your house to do it, bizarrely.

This is like a shell game of monitors and keyboards.

Now, lets see it all work with 3rd party keyboards and mice.

Ooh, extensions in Safari on iOS.

90 min in… oh yeah, this is a developer conference. Probably should mention Dev stuff.