Apple's Safari web browser

“History / Reopen All Windows From Last Session” – added in Safari 3.0, I believe.

It’s had tabs for quite a while. Long before it was out for Windows, that’s for sure.

Ah thanks, I was looking for it under the preferences, thinking it would be like Firefox. This way actually seems a bit better; I often do want all those old tabs, but sometimes I don’t.

If you’re using Safari, make sure you install Safaristand. The new version adds History Flow, which give your History menu an iTunes look:

It’s not, it’s based on Mozilla/Gecko. It’s a native Cocoa app though, which is why it doesn’t support FF extensions. FF uses XUL, which is what those extensions leverage.

Sorry, was thinking of Shiira.

I’ve been playing around with Leopard lately and Firefox has been really unstable. I’ve been using Safari as a consequence, but I really miss my extensions.

I’ve been farting with Safari 3.1 and I like it outside of the fact that I can’t seem to force it to create a new tab when navigating a GMail link by doing anything other than selecting it from the menu (i.e. it makes browsing QT3 a pain in the ass). Oddly, using Ctrl-click on middle mouse button click works just fine on other links.

While I don’t mind that Apple makes a browser, I do mind when my iTunes update service gives me a notification that Safari is now available? What the hell does that have to do with iTunes? I begrudgingly accept Quicktime, that’s enough thanks. I don’t need the updater to tell me about a browser, I could go to Apple’s site if I want that, thanks.

As for the browser, am I missing anything that IE / Firefox / Opera would give me? I’ve not used Safari at all.

I don’t think it’s an iTunes update service, but an Apple one generally, isn’t it? (It’ll also update Quicktime and lord knows what what else.)

Peter

It’s the same updater for all Apple stuff, but this is the first time it’s grabbed updates for stuff you didn’t have previously installed (although Quicktime and iTunes were probably already pretty inseparable).

Peter that’s true, it is “Apple Update Service.” However it did indeed install with iTunes. Looking at this in a different way, if Firefox update suddenly popped up with links to load the latest Windows Media Player, most folks would probably take issue.

I really don’t care that much, but as an IT guy I now have to worry that a large number of users who snuck iTunes onto their corporate desktop or laptop will now click on the update, then flood our IT support staff with Safari problems with internal applications. I’m probably jumping to a false conclusion, but I don’t have much trust in the general users on the network.

Allegedly, this command forces Safari 3.1 to open everything in a single, tabbed window like Firefox.

defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true

Isn’t the fact that a large number of your users are sneaking things onto their corporate desktops or laptops the actual problem?

Ab-so-fucking-lutely. The unfortunate problem is I have a “yes man” for a CIO who thinks that appeasing other execs with administrator or power user is a nice thing for him to do.

Also, the boss is an iTunes user.

Where would you put something like that?

Type it in at the command line, assuming you’re running OS X.

If you’re on Windows, edit the XML file located here:
C:\Documents and Settings<user>\Application Data\Apple Computer\Safari\Preferences\com.apple.safari.plist

Add <key>TargetClicksCreateTabs<key><true/> in whatever seems to be the appropriate location.

Definitely prefer the OS X method there… :P

I was going to start a new thread, but then noticed this one. I totally agree.

So an Apple Software updater window just popped up on my desktop. I hate that thing (it unvaryingly requires a full restart for every single fucking update that it installs). But today’s update wants me to install version 3.1 of Safari. Which I have never used.

As far as I’m concerned, there is a line that I expect auto-update processes not to cross, and when they start popping up to peddle new software and otherwise behave like ad-ware, then they have crossed that line.

So: Fuck Apple.

Lots of controversy about Apple installing Safari through their updater on Windows. It’s par for the course on Windows, but I think it is a little cheesy. They should put the option there, but not install it by default.