Applied Mathematics and its many uses!

Transferred in 2001, walked the aisle in 2003. They have added a bunch since then as I occasionally look stuff up in their course catalogs to help me decide if I should go there for grad school.

WHO SUMMONED ME

I just read in Scientific American (I think) a report that it’s a lot wiser to praise your children for their efforts than to praise them for how smart they are and how quick they get things. So–and I say this as your father–keep up the good, diligent work, Brinstil!

I’d also say that if you love dynamical systems (and I can see why you do), then you should switch to them as soon as you can. Why wouldn’t you study something you love? That’s what I say!

I teach pure math at a liberal arts college, and I love it. But I also love going to talks where someone explains dynamical systems to me.

Absolutely agree with this article. There’s old studies where the children praised as being smart are more likely to give up in the face of adversity.

I’d never heard the word “dynamical” before this board. It sounded wrong to me, but apparently it’s not. Is it a US/UK thing?

Reminds me of when people at work would say “combinational logic” rather than “combinatorial logic”. It bugged me for a while even though it wasn’t wrong.

D-Daddy!?!

Exactamundo! The pure math dept. has exactly one dynamical systems course, whereas the applied math one seems to have more than a few. And the pure math one requires a bit more algebra classes than I might wish to take. Though who truly knows where all the sleep deprivation, caffeine and grad school dementia will take me?!

My good professor, what is your preferred research field? I always get curious about such things.

Ha ha, turns out, Brinstil and I are in the same algebra class this quarter.

Indeed! What a crazy small world qt3 is!

“Combinatorial” rolls off the tongue so nicely. What kind of brutish savage would say “combinational” instead…

Son! I have bad news about your mother…

I dig everything. Right now I’m studying three things with the help of students:

1. Is it worth it for a liberal arts school to require a single semester of math of all of its graduates?

2. Is there a one-to-one correspondence between monotone triangles and descending plane partitions?

3. Is it possible for a neural network “baby” to learn a language from a neural network “mom”?

Pure math might be your thing after all.

No.

DO YOU ASK ALL YOUR QUESTIONS AS A STATEMENT?

IGNORE ME!

Sadly, there appears to be a bijective map from penises to students in my algebra class.

Which makes the prospect of teaching them about group actions today less appealling.

I am not totally sure what this means, but it sounds intriguing. And after a quick wiki search, it sounds yet more intriguing. Is it similar to AI research?

Yeah! A neural net is a model of the human brain that attempts to learn not using hard-and-fast rules but through a system of rewards and punishments. Now I believe AI can arise from a mixture of the two, but I’ve always been suspicious of programs that claim to be AI but really don’t evidence any contextual on-the-fly learning.

There are much better (Bayesian) approaches to learning than neural nets!

But neural nets are super kewl.

Don’t bring facts into this, mister! I’m covering up my lack of motivation/research with lots of exclamation marks!

You are wrong, sir!