April 25, 2011: wallet threat level green

Title April 25, 2011: wallet threat level green
Author Tom Chick
Posted in Games
When April 25, 2011

You know it's a slow week when the only cause for excitement is a downloadable game from the folks who made Super Stardust and Dead Nation. Outland seems like a mostly typical side-scrolling platformer, but with trippy graphics that recall Out of this World*..

Read the full article

OMG! So predictably disparaging to [Choose Your AAA Title] coming out this week!

"* If you have to ask, you

* If you have to ask, you

OK WTF?!

You can't copypaste ' " or

(em dash) into these comments, the web platform used (WordPress) will cut your comment off. (You can't even write an em dash directly, it seems.)

Oh well, that sucks. Wish it would say something before cutting off the message.

The new OpFlash is a full release, not an addon. But it also reputedly sucks, so it's probably not much of a wallet threat. Or am I missing the joke? Still, after last week featuring both Portal 2 and Cargo: The Search for Gravity (out of nowhere - nobody had a release date on that one until poof, there it was), I'm okay with giving the ol' wallet a bit of a rest.

"That's the joke."
See also: IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover, DarkSpore.

Watched giantbomb's quick look of Outland. It was done with developers of the game, and when they were asked about inspirations; they neglected to mention obvious sources like Silhouette Mirage and Ikaruga. I have no problem with them - I'll be generous here and say drawing inspiration - from Treasure's seminal games, but refusing to aknowledge it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Still might have checked it out if it had a PC release though.