Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits

Judging by the Gothic thread, I’m not the only RPG fan on this forum. Has anyone else picked up this title? It’s got sweet FA to do with the previous Arc titles, aside from the game world, but it’s a heck of a lot of fun. I can’t convince any of the bitter Planetcrap cynics to purchase it, so I thought I’d see if I could share my glee with anyone around these parts.

I have seen only mediocre scores in reviews for this one. Most say that it doesn’t really evolve the series at all and isn’t really better than the first three games. I’ve also heard that the battle system isn’t nearly as strategic as it first looks. Are those assessments fair? I haven’t played the game yet, but I may rent it to try it out.

Having never played any of the first three, I couldn’t say. I avoid Working Designs translations like the plague. Spicing up a translation with fart jokes and bill clinton references is not an improvement, in my book.

The combat is turn based and very strategic - the only real difference is that the movement is radius based, not square based. The storyline is entertaining and fairly innovative (or at least half of it is, the other half is the typical ‘chosen one vs. evil empire’ trope), and I’m enjoying it.

Having never played any of the first three, I couldn’t say. I avoid Working Designs translations like the plague. Spicing up a translation with fart jokes and bill clinton references is not an improvement, in my book.

The combat is turn based and very strategic - the only real difference is that the movement is radius based, not square based. The storyline is entertaining and fairly innovative (or at least half of it is, the other half is the typical ‘chosen one vs. evil empire’ trope), and I’m enjoying it.[/quote]

Sounds interesting. I may pick it up and give it a try.

Only a few battles in, but so far, I’m loving it. Nicely polished, excellent combat system, decent (if unoriginal) plot, nice graphics. So far feels like a winner, which is nice after the ultimately disappointing string of Dark Cloud 2, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, and Unlimited Saga.