Arcane: visit grimy Zaun and discover the story of Vi and Jinx

Some truly spectacular action scenes in the last 3 episodes, also ugh that cliffhanger ending!

Jesus fuck the ending of that show.

Damn, that ending.

Again, good series. It definitively leans heavily on the greek tragedy angle, with ironic fateful tragic coincidences, like (ending) Silco finally getting the city independence offer, but then having strings attached that he cannot overcome, giving Jinx, then dying at JInx’s hands, and Jinx attacking the council with the weapon Silco wanted her to develop, except if he was alive he would say to her to NOT attack as precisely what ultimately he pursued was independence that may make be too eyeroll-y for some people, but I liked a lot overall. As I say, it makes me think ‘good greek tragedy’ than ‘contrived story’ so they clearly have made something good.

The other thing is that the series hasn’t neatly tied all storylines to a conclusion, this is a big world so some are left open, and apart of that… well there is big cliffhanger. But despite the cliffhanger, the series has concluded successfully the core plot, the family issues of Powder/Jinx - Silco - Vi.

I hadn’t noticed this…

Take a deep breath

Well this certainly makes all the window smashing I’ve done today feel a lot more foolish.

But seriously, hooray!!

The passion is appreciated. What’s a few windows between friends?

The Jinx/Ekko scene is really next level stuff.

So how kid-friendly is this? Based on the reactions I’m definitely going to watch it myself, but am trying to decide whether to suggest it as a family activity or just solo it.

For calibration, they were fine with all of the main MCU stuff, but What If went too dark for them.

Teen and up, there’s some heavy topics and a lot of death and even a sex scene of sorts.

Fair amount of cursing in the last third, on top of the things ff brought up. Violence can definitely be semi-graphic. Not gory, but there’s more than a little blood at a couple of points.

Hey that was a good mid-season finale, the rest of the first season comes back after Christmas, right?

Right?

Wow, this looks great. Going to watch it with my son tonight!

Heh, that’s what my daughter asked me last night. She was not pleased with the answer.

It’s really, truly fantastic

May her frustration inspire a fast turnaround ;)

This was really decent. Plot was ok overall, although some of the premise and story beats were all too familiar and predictable. Also a bit torn on the schizo aspect of Powder/Jinx’s character and the Harley Quinn vibe she has, but I guess that’s in line with the LoL lore.

Speaking of which: I knew nothing about the LoL lore going into Arcane, and it didn’t hinder the enjoyment of the show for me, There was some comment along the lines of “It’s funny if you know what will happen to that character in the lore.” above, and I’m curious: How is LoL lore told? Is it comics and shorts like it’s done in Overwatch?

The art direction and Fortiche’s implementation of this is nothing short of amazing. It sounds a bit trite to say, but every frame a painting so absolutely applies to this gorgeous thing. This and Into the Spider-Verse are the most interesting visual contributions to the animation genre in the past 10 years, IMO. Some of the action scenes are downright fantastic, e.g. Jinx & Vi fighting the hoverboard crew, Ekko & Jinx, Vi going at it with Sevika, and so on. Loved that they pushed the stylization even further in those - definitely very anime-inspired. And, yet, overall not style over substance.

We loved the first episode and started the second. This thing is just flat-out gorgeous!

I am astonished at all the glowing reviews to the point that I feel compelled to give this show a try even though I have not played LoL, am not even into that game genre at all, and generally dismiss any attempt at game adaptations into other media since they are usually meh at best. But I guess this shop found the secret sauce? I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Heh, yeah, I had the same reaction when I read that comment.

Something happens to a character in a MOBA? How is that told to the player?

There’s a web wiki run by Riot with some basic character intros, histories. They release short stories sometimes in another part of the website. There’s been a few short comics dropped, as well, I think. And sometimes they release CGI videos to hype certain moments between characters. Also some of the new games, like the card game, contain bits of lore as flavor text scattered throughout. You can also I guess infer some lore from, like, move descriptions and stuff, but I feel like you’re really searching for meaning at that point, hah.

Some people inferred long ago the relationships between Vi, Jinx, Vander, and Caitlyn from dialogue/special boons the characters could use when played in a regular game of LoL together, too, which I didn’t realize was a thing that happened.

I also get the general impression from Angry Internet People that Riot doesn’t tend to drop a lot of, like, conclusive story beats through any of these means. Lots of setups, relationship-definers (e.g., oh boy these two sure hate each other!), cool fight scenes, etc. I guess that makes sense; in a game where there’s an infinite number of fights between any number of all these different people, writing anyone out or permanently settling a score might feel, I dunno, weird, when they’re just gonna be back to murdering the shit out of each other in the next match?

But, all of this is pretty secondhand on my part. Arcane’s the first real LoL material I’ve ever consumed, and I tried to limit my Googling/redditing so as not to spoil myself.