Arcanum replay

Ok, I made it to the main city last night.

I played at first for about three hours, clearing the first town. I decided to go full technology, and had the ability to make spike traps. I made about 8 of them, and got into a room with 2 big spiders. Trying to lay down spike traps was so frustrating that I actually quit the game ready to shelf it.

A few days later I decided to give it one last chance. I installed the high res patch and played at 1680x1050. Wow, the game looks a lot better now. I left the cave with the spiders, and made my way towards the city.

I finally wrapped my head around how the combat works, and it’s not that bad. My main complaints are trying to control your companion and the lack of visible hexes.

On the first point, in order to get my companion to run to a certain point and not engage the enemy, I have to say “fall bacK” then unpause combat, quickly press “move here” and click, then re-pause combat. This always results in the enemy getting a free turn. Is there a better way to handle this?

The second point is having no visible hexes makes placing traps a complete crap shoot. I have no idea where the damn things are actually going to end up. This coupled with trying to get my companion to run behind me to make a line the creatures will run through to hit the traps is so frustrating.

Other than those two complaints, I actually like the combat system. It’s basically Fallout, but if you’re fighting rats or something inconsequential, you can go into realtime and resolve the combat ten times faster.

So, I guess my main question on the tech tree is this- it seems like I can find or buy formulas in the world. Am I wasting my character points learning new formulas/schematics, or can I only get those formulas/schematics through using character points?

I took two of the gun crafting skills, and I’m assuming these will be good for making money by creating these guns and selling them, right?

It seems like the game is extremely stingy with money, which I love. Polar opposite of Skyrim.

Anyhow, I’m really glad I decided to give it a second chance. What an extremely well crafted world and game system.

I think you can only get those formulas in level up, and the ones you acquire usually seem to improve on them.

Ah, so acquired formulas require you to have spent points in the initial formulas to use them?

Maybe not all the time, but there are some really good items that say require you to have built both the tesla rod and this gun, or this item and this item. So sometimes not only do you have to train in one but you have to have a few technological disciplines. In fact alot of them are like that.

So, this:
Avellone’s Let’s Play Arcanum

Neat!

There were a lot of good things about the game but one thing really bugged me. Playing as a gunslinger seemed pointless at times. The movement allowances per turn were so great that in one turn, melee opponents were on top of me. It sort of made playing a gunslinger rather difficult. IMO, I should have been able to get off 2 or 3 shots before they ever got close.

Yeah, everything was great except for the combat mechanics. There was a heavy bias towards melee.

I’m not sure about guns, but thrown was crazy overpowered as compared to melee. At least, if you took the time to do the quest for that artifact chakram.

lol, he is so bad. But entertaining :)

It was worse than that, if was biased towards hitting, not damage for experience gain. I had a character that concentrated on two handed weapons, and I think I hit the level cap near the end of the game. My younger brother, concentrated on daggers, and he hit the level cap at about the 1/4 to 1/3 point of the game.

It was pretty tough going at the beginning with my firearm character but once I got the elephant gun and a nice supply of bullets I was able to pretty much sail through to the end. One of my favorite RPGs ever.

Yeah same for me, once I got that elephant gun I was like Dirty Harry, shooting everything to pieces, and it is a excellent RPG.

I was thinking of giving this game another shot because I didn’t get very far the last time I played (stopped in some orc cave). However, I know next to nothing about mechanics or how the game is structured later on (talking vs combat) so I’d appreciate some tips on character specs. The last time I played I went full melee because I read in some guide that it’s the least annoying way to play the game, but I’m open to other options, especially those that leverage diplomacy (after replaying SR: Dragonfall and Hong Kong recently I became a big fan of charisma lol). General tips are of course also welcome - ie, which items to hold on to, which party members to recruit, potential noob traps, etc.

Here’s quite a lot of text, but since you asked for tips and I like this game a lot. . .

Arcanum is essentially based on a D&D-like system (like Fallout was), so the most difficult part of the game is the very beginning when your skills, hit points, and attributes are low. It’s not quite as bad as Fallout 2 where hitting an enemy can be nearly impossible, but it’s close. The early game in general is rough, especially since it does the Fallout / Baldur’s Gate thing where you can get party-wiped from random encounters while fast traveling. Acanum takes a few hours for its story to get going and for you to get to a high enough level where you can explore without getting party-wiped by every encounter. Most important advice: Quick save frequently.

The combat gets easier as the game progresses to that point that most any build is viable. In terms of general builds, the difficulty curve is probably something like melee (easiest) > magic user > tech user (hardest, but my favorite because of how unique it is). Of course, each of those three broad categories has a great deal of variance and customization options and you can complete the game with most anything. The first proper dungeon is the most frustrating part of the game since you encounter these rock golems that damage your weapons when you hit them (and they in turn damage your armor) and can take forever to kill unless you have some magic spells. I didn’t, and settled on using hand-to-hand combat to kill them, but that requires a lot of healing potions / spells.

In Arcanum, a high charisma score is a worthwhile investment. It is one of the RPGs where I felt I could have the most effect on its world and story through my dialogue choices. Not only does it open lots of dialogue options which can alter the game in significant ways (e.g., avoiding and even befriending enemies), but your charisma determines how many companions you can have in your party. With a high enough charisma, your main character is barely needed in combat (except for boss encounters) since you will have enough party members to slaughter most level-appropriate enemies.

There are tons of recruitable characters in the game of varying quality, but Virgil and Magnus (the dwarf you meet in Tarant, the main city) are early recruits that are good enough to be in your final party. I would recommend sticking with whichever ones you find most interesting because the game is not difficult enough (unless you make it so) that it matters too much. That said, I think the more powerful characters are generally the ones with the more fleshed-out backstories (and thus the ones I used), so I could be off base here. Worth noting is that many of the characters you can recruit are determined by either your alignment (standard good/evil binary) or by your aptitude for magic and technology. Basically, when you take a magic skill (whose effectiveness is based on Wisdom), your aptitude moves toward magic. The same is true of technology skills (which are tied to your Intelligence). So, a magic-user character won’t join you if you have too much of an aptitude in technology (or not enough aptitude in magic), and a tech-based character won’t join you in the inverse case. I think some characters will refuse to join you if your character’s intelligence or charisma are too low as well. One weird thing about the companions in Arcanum is that they only level up when your main does and they do not initially scale to your level. So, if you recruit a level 10 character while you are at level 30, that character’s max level will be 30 since the level cap is set at 50 (i.e., you character levels up 20 times to 50, and they level up 20 times to 30). There’s a mod that removes the level cap, which is worth seeking out just in case.

Speaking of mods, you will definitely want the unofficial fan patch which improves the game in several ways without changing the core experience.

My general advice would be—after finishing up the stuff in the game’s first town Shrouded Hills—to go to Tarant as soon as is reasonable since that’s when the game starts getting good. I would recommend going to Dernholm (a town to southeast of Shrouded Hills) first—I believe an optional Shrouded Hills quest requires you go—and you can recruit a tech-healer character there if your character is tech inclined. From there, you can make your way to Black Root (another smaller town) at the mouth of the river on the world map where you can buy a train ticket to Tarant. However, if you find you are not much enjoying the game, I recommend skipping Dernholm and heading straight for Black Root to catch the train to Tarant. Note that if your magic aptitude gets too high, you will be barred from using trains, but that’s probably not possible in the early game. It can be easy to get lost in this game, as it’s basically an open world and it is not always obvious what you are supposed to be doing, but GameBanshee and Mike’s RPG Center can make life easier and make sure you don’t miss anything interesting. At the very least, their maps are handy.

One last thing: be sure to set the combat to turn-based. The default is this awful real-time system that is chaotic and barely functional. The real-time system can work when dealing with trash mobs below your level later in the game though.

I am guessing you know this, but just in case, you want the high quality maps, unofficial patch, and high res/widescreen mod, I suspect.

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/33528-arcanum-unofficial-patch-extras/?s=939c72e7377917b07e022f028f7ead5b

I’m actually pulling this all down myself, as playing Arcnaum is something I have only done twice and I only beat it the second time (playing as a pure mage years and years ago). Seems like it might be fun to try and get back into!

@Dissensus: Thanks! That was extremely helpful, and far more detailed than I was hoping for. Sounds like an int/charisma char would be a decent pick, since I like to play ‘smart’ characters. Any recommendations regarding weapons and such for a tech character?

@Scotch_Lufkin: Thanks for the links. I remember using widescreen on my last install but I’m not sure if I used any of the unofficial patches back then. Is GoG version already patched with any of these?

I don’t think so - I could be wrong, but I installed the patch, town maps, and wide screen setting/windowed mode and didn’t (so far) have any issues.

I played a high intelligence/charisma character, adding a few points in dexterity perception here and there. I went guns for my weapon, but I also had some points in throwing for the Molotov cocktails (which is where the dexterity comes in handy). Aside from guns and bombs (and some magic weapons later on), weapons aren’t really tied to magic/technology aptitude. Alternately, you could go with archery, throwing knives, bomb making, or, eventually, robots. You could still try melee, but it would be tough since your HP would be low with a high int/cha build. Virgil can tank and you get an even better tank in the first town, so it’s not as difficult to play without obvious combat attributes as it might look.

Edit: Forgot that perception determines gun ability, not dexterity. Dexterity is good for bows and throwing weapons.

Here are a series of very short character guides, each video only about three minutes long, so you can see what sort of character might suit your fancy. I found them very helpful and concise.

Thanks, that’s very useful!