Archer

Now that the ISIS hierarchy has been blown up, everyone’s a field agent, which I think has to be good for the show. No more having to come up with excuses to get the office people into the field.

It’s interesting how the first episode of the new season seemed specifically set up to draw in new viewers. In addition to the trailer for the upcoming episodes, they engineered a situation where every character had to introduce themselves by full name, and then rattle off the high points of the series’ backstory. So someone who’d never seen an episode of Archer before this one would be left with a good sense of who these people are, without feeling obligated to “catch up” before watching this season.

Much like the Community re-pilot…

I’m stoked that not one but two of my favorite shows are coming back in version 2.0 mode this year.

It was like an inverted clip show of sorts.

Well… if by inverted you mean using words instead of actual clips?

And then they used clips (of stuff that hasn’t happened yet).

I wish they hadn’t. I avoid movie trailers because I memorize the scenes and then spend the whole movie waiting to plug them into the narrative.

I feel like they spolied at least half the season for me with that extended preview.

Once I realized what was happening I stopped watching. I don’t even like to watch “next week on…” because I feel like it gives away too much, though some shows are worse than others. They don’t need to sell me on Archer, I’m already in, same goes for most any show I watch weekly.

Yeah, I tend to delete a show off my tivo just as they announce, “NEXT WEEK ON DANCE MOMS!” or whatever. There’s an alarming tendency to give away stuff via these things the last few years.

Are we sure that they’re things that are going to happen and it’s not the writers trolling us?

It matches up with interviews with Adam Reed and the plan for the season, though of course if you want to believe he just messing with us on the show, you could write that off as part of the gag. I’d say the fact that they went through with animating all that means it’s really happening though, because that’s a ton of new footage (is that even the correct term) for one gag in the first episode.

The interviews even mention that it’s a sort of ridiculous move to basically throw out so much of their existing art by changing the show so dramatically, and if the season hadn’t started yet you could actually add that to the argument that it’s so ridiculous it must be a joke. But now that we’ve actually seen all those clips, I think it’s obviously legit.

I usually hate seeing previews, and like others here I typically freeze the DVR and/or delete the show when that happens. But for some odd reason I let it go with Archer, because I was curious as to what we’d see - plus, it’s not like there’s going to be any tension as to whether a character lives or dies on the show. And I thought the montage was great - it made me more psyched to see the season. Go figure.

“I wanna say his plan was to dress up like a ghost?”

Cheryl is 24K comedy gold.

That whole episode was comedy gold. Right up there with the train episode among my favorites.

“Choke point!”

For some reason, my DVR missed this one. Pity, since it sounds good. Maybe I can find it on demand.

For those who missed, new music album by “Cherlene” now available for preview on iTunes, featuring vocal talents of singer Jessy Lynn Martens as Cherlene, and Kenny Loggins as himself.

“Kriegerrands” was a touch of genius.

I thought this was one of the weaker episodes, but it had it’s moments. I think, for me, it’s just that Burt Reynolds is a much funnier guest star/component of Archer’s life than Kenny Loggins.

And, renewed for two more seasons!

Edit: As for the K-Log episode, I thought it was okay. It was very funny, and I liked the Archer/Pam and Archer/Lana moments, but the whole was not as good as the parts. It didn’t feel especially organic.