Archer

Excellent!

Nice! I hope the ISIS crew finds a steady situation by the end of this season, though. The “vice” storyline can’t reasonably go on for two more seasons.

It’s already overstayed its welcome, at least as far as I’m concerned. The spy stuff was way more entertaining.

We can figure that the entire supply of coke will eventually be frittered away without ever making a sale. And when that runs out, the situation pretty much runs out. So yeah, a nice change of pace, but they need to either reinstate the spy premise or figure out some other weird tangent to go off on next season. But I’m enjoying what’s there so far.

Yeah, it’s not objectively bad, but it’s the weakest season so far. It’s still much better than most other shows and I’m nowhere near giving up on it, but some of the gleeful insanity seems to be missing this go round. Maybe Barry should show up.

It was starting to feel like a few too many episodes of everyone just standing around the mansion yelling at each other, I didn’t specifically miss the spying so much as I missed the variety the crazy spy missions provided. That could just be poor memory on my part, maybe the other seasons had their share of episodes just around ISIS headquarters. Overall still digging the ambition/guts to shake up the premise though.

It’s not helping that I really don’t care for country western music, yet they don’t seem particularly interested in making fun of it. At least, not as much as I’d like to find it tolerable.

I said the same thing after this season’s premier and promptly got gang tackled. Nice to hear I’m not completely alone in my enjoyment of the variety. It’s hallmark of the spy genre–what Bond film doesn’t hit at least 3 or 4 exotic locales?–and it worked well for Archer, too.

You got piled on for claiming that this season’s premise necessarily limits the variety of locales. It doesn’t. What we’ve had this season is the writers failing to take advantage of the variety that’s available to them.

I think it was somewhat more nuanced than that, Zylon, but yeah, you’re right. Metaplots can be great, terrible, and everything in between, but by definition they provide overarching structure for a season’s stories. That’s something Archer really didn’t have before this.

Only to resolve his storyline. Barry’s a douche, and it was far more fun when Archer was abusing him. Getting abuse back as Barry the Cyborg was also fun - for a while. Now? I’m glad we have a Barry break.

I really enjoy this season so far, but it is not perfect. I’m glad they are breaking it up, because for me the fourth season was starting to feel a little stale. It was still incredibly funny, but becoming more formulaic. That said, Archer Vice does feel like much lower stakes. Not that ISIS was particularly great at foiling villains, but it is now much less probable that the team will be marooned on a space station etc. Basically, the character touches are fantastic, but the overall plotting is a little weak.

I’m not sure how I feel about this week’s episode as a whole, but… the voice mail jokes never get old.

It’s a shame ODIN got basically written out last year, as it would have been interesting to have them bump into them this season. Oh well.

Pam Poovey actress Amber Nash debuts on reddit.com.

Huge fan of hers.

. . . and the cocaine is almost completely gone. The Columbia trilogy had a lot of interesting character moments, but also underscored how badly some of these characters need something to do.

And…it transmutes into arm sales and a link back into the intelligence community.

I think I may be done with this show after the current season. :(

I actually loved the idea of Archer Vice when it was just the montage at the end of the first episode. Had they ended that with “hell of a trip” and brought it back somehow to semi-spy stuff (even the arms dealer stuff now with the CIA), I think I would have been happier.