Archer

Oh come on, how can you be hatin’ on any episode that includes the line “even your balls are made of pussy!”

I’ll hang with the show as I still laugh at it more often than not, but I do believe this has turned out to be the weakest season so far. While I initially loved the jokes about Pam and her love of cocaine, I don’t like that being a frequent joke every single episode.

I really had hopes they could pull this off, too.

Yeah, it’s been annoyingly repetitive, which was predictable from the moment they introduced the drug-dealing metaplot. I would have been happy to eat my words, but… Anyway, still watching, still laughing, but not liking it nearly as much without the ISIS framework.

The Three Stooges-like face slapping scenes had me rolling on the floor. I really hope that’s a new meme for them.

Hooray, ISIS is restored as a consequence of the season finale. The last few episodes were much more in the classic Archer vein–exotic locales, wacky science, high stakes met with panic and absurdity, and so on. Looking forward to next season.

Agents of I.S.I.S. returns. Not a surprise. Father of the baby? Not a surprise (you did think to watch the episode before reading this thread, right). But is the whole Lana has a baby thing still a Get Smart Jump the Shark moment?

More so than this season’s cocaine plot line? Doubtful. If any large carnivorous cartilaginous fish were jumped by the show, it happened a while ago.

The baby affects the show considerably more than a one-season road trip, so I greet your doubtful doubtfully. ;-)

It sounds more like a question you have to ask yourself, the fact there is a baby on the show doesn’t seem like it will really change anything from my point of view. It’s just a cartoon after all, they can draw anything they like. /shrug

The cartoon aspect is really neither here nor there, beyond maybe they are freer to do anything they want with an animated baby. It still has an affect on the characters and situations. Traditionally, marrying characters and having babies was a sign that the ratings were slipping and the writers were desperate to inject interest back in the show. Archer wan’t just renewed, but renewed for two seasons, so it’s more likely just an avenue they want to explore to not fall into a creative rut, but the potential going down a domestic route rather than an adventure-spy route gives me pause far more than anything having to do undercover cocaine stuff rather than undercover spy stuff. Hopefully the writers will be able to keep it fun and outrageous regardless, but the potential for it being a turning point seems to me greater than that of the just concluding season.

Recent interview with Mr. Reed suggests previous villains will make comebacks next season.

Agreed. This season was completely redeemed by its second half.

Favorite quote of the season: “He died doing what he loved. Getting shot.”

Not exactly a ringing endorsement that the best quote was from the first episode.

Overall I enjoyed this season, but it also felt like it never quite hit its full potential. There were a bunch of dangling plot threads which went nowhere and running gags that got beaten into the ground. How many jokes about Pam’s coke habit or Charlene screaming, “OUTLAW COUNTRY!” did we really need? “A lot!” according to the show’s writers, apparently. And after all that, they’re just gonna pull a mulligan and go back to being ISIS again? By the time next season starts, you would never know anything changed, if it weren’t for Lana giving birth.

I still want to know what was up with the frequent slapping scenes in the last few episodes. For some reason I giggled every time it happened.

Aw come on, that was the culmination of four seasons worth of groundwork.

Yup, still getting confused and coming into this thread thinking it’s the Arrow thread.

I’m not saying it wasn’t a great line, just that it wasn’t a great season. It pretty much hit its high note with ISIS getting wrecked, then embarked on a long, slow, unfocused slide into the murk. For the first time since I saw my first episode of Archer, I’ve actually had to force myself to watch it.

I think it rallied at the end, but then, that was starting to slip more back into the spy mode. Even if I enjoyed it less than previous seasons, I still overall enjoyed it.

Nothing much special about the season opener beyond Archer Vice is gone.