Archer

Aww…didn’t you like the office ‘Gotcha’? Because, like, that was totally necessary. lol

I actually enjoyed it quite a lot, and am just glad to have more Archer!

I thought the office gotcha was hilarious, but the plotline with the clueless Japanese soldier still fighting WW2 has been done so many times before that I found it dull.

Yup. Same.

It’s a trope that should be retired forever. I remember the first time I ran across it was in the 70’s on a Gilligan’s Island rerun, and I’ve seen it done with varying degrees of skill at least a dozen times since. Issues of chronology alone are enough to make it ridiculous now. A soldier who was 18 in 1945 would be nearly 90 today.

It was worth it for the phone call payoff, imho.

To be fair, they did acknowledge the age of the trope - with the awesome Six Million Dollar Man bit: “See, Steve Austin is an astronaut… An astronaut is…”.

But, yeah, the best bit of the show by far was all the effort they made to recreate the crappy office, and Mallory’s exasperation. It would have been cheaper to have the futuristic one.

Conway is back! Another strong episode, great fight scene and I’m loving the Archer/Lana dynamics.

Yeah, the fight choreography for the Archer-Conway throwdown was probably the best the series has ever done. Loved it.

Yeah, I suppose this could be called “more of the same”, but the quality really reminds me of the first seasons. Two good episodes.

M.o.t.s.? Well, yeah, just with a different dynamic on some of the relationships, but Conway is someone who was destined to return. I noted with glee that he kept his other hand on that open window sill way too long. I did think that Archer would have had on a bullet proof vest that specifically covered his back, though.

“No, just Slater. It’s a mononym.”

Wait…damn, deleted the episode. Did the alien say “Algernon” rather than “Algernop”?

I heard “Algernon”

Trivia for the day: it is based on an actual thing.The last known holdouts surrendered in 1974.

Captions say Algernop.

Yup, I know. I might have even seen it on the news when it happened, although I don’t remember it if I did. The first moon landing, the Vietnam War, and Nixon’s resignation made a strong impression. The last holdout didn’t–but the Gilligan episode stuck in my head. Memory is odd.

Something about this season isn’t really doing it for me, but I can’t exactly place my finger on it. It feels like they’re running out of ideas, or maybe the premise just doesn’t work for me anymore. There’s still some good one-liners but overall the quality isn’t as strong as pre-Vice.

But it’s better than Vice itself, and that’s good enough for me.

I think it’s as good as pre-Vice. It’s just that we are in the Sixth season already. Comedy shows like this have a limited shelf life.