Archolos: The Gothic Prequel that deserves its own thread

Archolos is a free, non-commercial open world RPG developed on Gothic II engine (requires its ownership, but you do not need G2 installed). It takes place in Gothic universe and is set before Gothic 1, with its own world, story, full polish voice acting and orchestral soundtrack.

It has been getting a significant acclaim, such as 98% positive rating on Steam out of almost 10,000 reviews, and its director is now working at CD Projekt on upcoming Cyberpunk expansion.

I started playing recently, still only just at the beginning, but I absolutely love what I played so far. Wonderful atmosphere.

Funnily enough, just like another masterpiece of a non-commercial RPG - Enderal - Archolos also starts on a ship’s lower deck, with your character getting tossed overboard.

But soon, you find yourself on land

and in a first village, where the adventure opens up.

Stupid steam search turned up nothing when I searched for Archolos.

When I searched for The Chronicles of, it turned up though.

Unlike Enderal, I don’t need to spend $15 to check it out, so I can install it now. Nice.
EDIT: Oops, I was wrong, you need to spend $10 and buy Gothic 2 Gold Edition on Steam, even if you own it on GOG, like I do. So I guess this goes into the backlog too.

Oh hey cool. I don’t need to buy rebuy Gothic 2 gold on Steam after all.

There’s a version of this mod on GoG too:

Or, if you do prefer the Steam version, you can get it for less than a dollar…

I fired it up.

I moved around the left thumbstick, the d-pad, tried pressing buttons. Nothing. Can’t navigate the menu.

Maybe mouse? I moved the mouse, nothing, no cursor.

Then I remembered: Oh right, based off Gothic. Keyboard only, right? Man, I don’t know if I can do that anymore.

I think it does let you use a mouse. I had to edit sensitivity in an ini file. Like olden times. I didn’t get very far with the game.

Gothic supports a mouse. Even the original Gothic from 2001, I played it with a mouse back in 2001. There is no cursor, but mouse and WSAD can be used normally. And I am playing Archolos with Xbone controller thanks to Steam Input. There is a preset for it.

Well, I couldn’t find any way to play with a controller. The internet isn’t much help. I saw some posts by you Paul in their forums.

In the old days, two computers ago, maybe from 2005-2010, I used to use Xpadder a lot to map controls to the controller, because PC games had really poor controller support. But these days, controller support is everywhere, so I can’t be bothered to go to those lengths anymore.

Oh well, plenty of other games. The intro is pretty brutal in terms of being so retro. I had forgotten how bad the first two Gothic games looked compared to modern games.

Actually it is quite simple. Just add Archolos to steam as a nonsteam game (or buy the steam version for less than a dollar from the link I posted above), open big picture mode, go to manage - controller configuration and download some preset (I am using Dark Souls like preset).

As for graphics, I find it quite charming. DX11 renderer adds some nice effects, too.

Made it to Archolos proper, the town. Similar feeling as when entering Novigrad, it is so well done.

Gotta say even graphically G2 ages very well.

Chilling at the office, exploring Archolos

And, finished.

Cool 140 hours according to Steam, 110 according to save. What a fantastic RPG. Best Piranha Bytes game to date, albeit not actually made by Piranhas themselves.
Played the entire game with xbox controller thanks to steam input, works like a charm. DX11 renderer is very recommended.

Here is my comment from another site (translated mostly via deepl):

Archolos is, like Enderal, a non-commercial but (quality-wise) completely professional open world RPG. It flawlessly implements the design principles of Gothic 2, only on an even larger scale. That means atmospheric exploration of a new, previously unseen island, down-to-earth human dialogue and character writing, and the immensely satisfying character development, where villager Marvin who can barely hold a sword gradually becomes the Butcher of Archolos, killing enemies in pirouettes ala his Blaviken colleague. Or become a firestorms-throwing mage. The respect one has for the first many dozens of hours of the iconic shadow beast, and the sense of satisfaction when the first specimen finally falls…

Of course, you can fish, make your own weapons from swords to bows to crossbows, practice alchemy, lockpick chests, pickpocket…you can go into the mines and just do…mining for a few days. The economy is balanced so that there is always something to spend money on, there is always an incentive to make that one new sword and sell it to a blacksmith with a fat profit.

The amount of quests along with their quality, the way they often unexpectedly build on each other, the amount of all sorts of mini-events Marvin encounters is mind-boggling. The world is alive because of this, however, and practically every visit to the local town of Archolos (which rivals Novigrad in size) I encountered something new. One time it’s a rogue vendor who sold me spoiled fish - I didn’t let him get away, I took him down outside the town and got my money back - and another time it’s his sister, who apologized for him and gave me my money back - making me wonder if I should reload a save that’s several hours old. Or maybe a beggar who nags that he needs a scratcher. Well, only a skeleton’s severed hand will satisfy him.

Archolos is divided into six chapters, each with its own unique location and atmosphere, though they are of course linked by the exploration of the island itself - except for the final sixth, which is linear. But given the story’s progression, it makes sense. The ending itself is enriched by ending slides along the lines of Fallout - and nicely detailed, with many characters and events being mentioned.

Jestem Marvin a šukám roboty!

Archolos is very decently written and translated into English, but the dub is Polish…and it’s great. Yes, they fuck robots very often, cholera!, however the characters have charisma and especially Marvin himself has a distinctive voice and emotionally Archolos works, despite the twenty year old technology and non-existent facial animation. The writers are also great with simple animations - every time Marvin did a facepalm, I smiled.

After finishing it, which kept me up until four in the morning, I got exactly the feeling of melancholy that comes with finishing something great. I’m sorry it’s over, but I’m glad I got through it.

On my way to the town for the first time

Archolos at night

Elevator in the fog

How to get to monastery?

Slums during early morning

Dancing skeletons

Wolf’s Den

LOL

It’s a thing between czech and polish. In polish, when Marvin says Šukám roboty, it means I’m looking for a job. In czech, those two words mean I fuck robots.

So there is quite a lot of robot fucking in Archolos, because Marvin needs money :)

Someone told my wife that the Czech for ‘far away’ was ‘where the foxes say goodnight.’

Which is so awesome I never checked it :)

This looks awesome.